CHAPTER 3

I always find our garden interesting. It has all kinds of vegetation, from woody terrestrial to fancy orchids and mosses, everything. 

My mama started this. She planted all varieties of roses and lilies. But out of all she liked the sunflower most. Its unique attraction to the sun represents freedom, progress to the light. But that never fascinates me. My relationship with light was dead the day she was gone. Now there is only darkness left. 

But I like roses, not for its romantic gestures, but for its colour. I planted rows after rows of Black Baccara rose. The colour of this particular variety exactly matches the colour of blood and that intrigues me. 

The garden holds so much more than the roses. It holds the memories of my first kill which my papa is so proud of. It also holds the memories of the death of my best friend.

Bitterness creeps  all over me at the thought and I almost forget that I have company. 

I look up to find my fiance looking at me already, there's something on his face. 

Is it amusement? 

I shift my gaze and clear my throat.. 

"Let's sit here." I say.

He does not utter a word, just follows me silently towards the poolside sitting area. We sit down in agonising silence. Why isn't he saying anything?

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask finally, clearing the air. 

He shifts his gaze for a few seconds and looked at the still water, then says,

" I have one condition about our marriage. '' 

I look at him with questions in my eyes. 

"I want monogamy throughout our marriage." He says with a stone cold face. 

By now I am sure he was there at the hotel that time. I feel a sudden panic all over me. An unknown guilt covers my mind. What is this? I didn't commit a crime. What if I slept with others before marriage. I'm sure that he had done it too.

" I don't care what you did in the past, but I expect you to be faithful to me from now on. No one touches you. Because I don't share. So, if I see anyone looking at you with the wrong intentions, I'll kill them. I won't care if they were your friends or lovers. " he says. His voice is somehow low, dangerous. 

I gulp looking at him. 

"That won't be necessary. I won't engage myself with anyone." I answer.

"Good boy! "  A small smile comes in the corner of his lips for a second. I just met this man, and he is already showing his authority over me. 

The man has the power to bring me to my knees if he tries. Just his voice does things to me that I never felt before.