4

I sit at a table of vampires. They are the only species I can stand but even they annoy me often. They don't eat regular food like the rest of them, they are given animal blood in cups, while they sit and talk about how much better vampires are than the rest of them. 

"And you, Adonis?" a girl sitting near me asks, I can see the flirtiness in her eyes.

"What?"

"That school trip in a few weeks. Are you gonna go?"

"Maybe," is all I say. She looks disappointed by my answer.

My eyes move around the crowded room until they fall on Valeria. Her many silver earrings all are related to the stars, her light brown hair was more curly than usual today, and she wore light blue. Her brown eyes met mine, I didn't look away, I kept holding it. Usually, people would quickly look away. The little witch doesn't. Instead, she narrows her eyes at me.

"You have my book," she mouths.

I don't mouth anything back. I just smirk. This makes her even more annoyed. 

I think she's about to mouth something else when somebody shouts, "Hey!"

Everybody looks in the direction of the shouting. Two girls stood there, looking at each other angrily. I watched. One girl snapped, "Watch where the fuck you're going, witch, before I drain every ounce of blood in your pathetic body."

"Try it," the witch argues back. She moves her hand to be ready. "You won't get close enough."

The vampire brings her fangs out, everybody is watching, ready for what's about to happen. But old shoes that squeak are followed by a teacher yelling, "Hey! Break it up! Detention for both of you!" 

As the two are separated, everybody goes back to eating their food, the vampires at my table going on about how much they hate witches. Species don't mix here. Rarely for friendship, and never for anything more. It's forbidden to be with somebody from a different species. 

Lunch ends. I get through the rest of the day - but I keep my eye on one person. Finn. I follow him down the halls after class. I observe how he walks. How he talks to people. And as I enter my room, I decide he will be my first victim. 

He may not be an angel. He may be what he claims. But I'll find that out when I kill him. 

When it's dark in the sky, and everybody's lights are off, I quietly exit my room. I walk down the hallway until I reach the large doors. Demons, we have wings, they are large and black. Faster than any other species. Stronger. 

It doesn't take me long to fly through the dark and cloudy night sky until I reach the point of entry. Two guards stand there, waiting. They are vampires. Some species side with us, as long as there is some sort of agreement once we're able to take over. 

The large doors at the end of the hot hallway are open. I see the King and Queen waiting for me. Once I'm before them, I kneel and bow my head. I look up at the King who sits on his throne and holds his sword. 

"So, Adonis?" he asks. "What have you found? You've been there a week."

"I haven't found any confirmed ones," I say. His face remains blank. "But I believe I've found one. Tonight, I will kill him."

The dark eyes of the Devil look around my face with no emotion able to be read. All I hear is burning while he doesn't respond. He states, "So you haven't found anything yet."

I think of Valeria. But I decided to not mention it. Instead, I say, "A boy named Finn. I believe he may be an angel. I'll find out tonight."

My father stands. The tip of his sword scrapes the ground as he takes slow steps down the stairs. He stops directly in front of me.