29

A D O N I S

They thought they could take her from me?

I stare at my father. At the man who raised me. I hold a blade, which I'll kill him with, for an angel that is chained to the floor. I could smell my flesh burning, but I felt it heal. I quickly glance at her, I see the betrayal on her face, but she will understand. She must understand.

Cowardly, my father hides behind his people. All the demons in the room start to run at me to kill me, to get me out of the way, to kill what is protecting the last angel.

My sword swings into the bodies of all that come near. It stabs through them, it cuts their necks, dozens of them run at me, but I kill them all. The firey room echoes, haunted by demon screams, they pierce my ears, yet I keep fighting.

I was supposed to kill her for my people. But now, I kill my people for her.

The dead bodies surround me, dropping to the floor as the person chosen to save them instead takes their life. It was me - I was blessed with the ability to leave the Underworld to save them - but now they all lay dead.

I stare at my father as I've slaughtered his army. The blood splatter on my face does not phase me. He stares at me with something more than hate. 

"You'd kill your own father?" he questions.

"For her, I would."

I begin walking toward him. My father's sword collides with mine, they bounce off each other, he would be the hardest of them all to kill. He swings his blade, it cuts my abdomen, but I don't let it slow me down. I swing mine, he dodges it the first time, but the second time I get his chest. 

He gets another hit on me. Then another. Then another. But I don't give up, every single time, I stand up and keep fighting. Stained in blood, I get another hit on him. 

My father, my brother, my mother, my people. I turned on all of them for her, and I kill them all for her.

He's more angry now. He swings with more force, but I dodge, he angrily swings again, but I dodge again. While doing so, I stab my blade through his knee. He screams, falling to the ground, and I stab him through his other knee.

Unable to stand, his sword on the floor, I look down at him. His jaw is tight.

"Bow your head," I say the words he had said to me before. I pull the blood-stained sword out of his leg and touch his neck with the end of it. "Bow your head, or you lose it."

He's nearly shaking with rage.

"You were supposed to save us," he says weakly.

"Yes, I was," I state. "But now, it is her that I save."

I cut his head off. That's what happened, if you did not bow your head for the King, you would lose it. 

I look down at his dead body.

I was King now.

I smile to myself. But then I turn around. I see her, she looks afraid, chained to the floor. I put my sword down and quickly rushed over to her. Something strange happens as I do - it's as if my vision turns black, "Kill her," I hear whispered in my ears. 

I ignore it. I rip the chains off her, her back presses against the staircase, she winces as I put my hands on her face. Covered in blood, I whisper, "I missed you."

"You're a demon," she chokes out, her beautiful eyes filling with tears. 

I run a hand through her hair and the blood on my hands stick to the strands. I tell her, "I'll make you my Queen, Valeria."