35

Present time. 

I've spent more time in this cave than anywhere else. With the only person I know I can trust, with the only person who has not betrayed me. 

And she was right. He would betray me every single time. Because that's what demons do. It was foolish of me to think that things may have been different this time. And it was even more foolish of me to fall in love with him all over again.

Loving Adonis Priest was suicide. And I was killing myself over and over again. 

"You need to find him," she says to me. "Use the mind control to make him kill all the demons. Then, once they're all dead, you need to kill him."

The fact that I still loved him was the cruelest joke of all. It's been 200 years, he has tried to kill me twice, I've been waiting to kill him for centuries, and yet I still loved him.

"He thinks I'm dead," I state. I look in the mirror. At the person I've been for the last three years.

I've done it. I fooled everybody. I was so close, so close to getting what I wanted, so close to becoming a God. I fooled every angel that existed, I fooled every demon I needed to, but that girl Selena ruined it. Adonis would hate me now. I would need to use mind control to make him love me again. 

"Then show him you aren't," she says. 

I could not let the demons get free. With the demons stuck in The Underworld, I could have them all killed, but if they got released, I doubted it. I needed Adonis. 

"I'm not going to The Underworld," I say. "This annoying bitch Selena would kill me."

"He is not in The Underworld," she says. My eyebrows lower.

I leave the cave and go to where she told me he would be. And I got deja vu as I watched his strong back standing before what I assumed was my grave. I didn't understand why he was here. He killed me and it was the middle of the night.

"Don't you have something more depressing to do at this hour?" my voice floats through the wind as I speak teasingly. 

He turns around. He looks shocked. I bite my tongue and hold back all the things I want to say.

"Valeria," he lets out a breath of relief. He drops the flowers to the ground and rushes over to me. I became confused - no, more than confused as he puts his arms around me tightly. Not only is he hugging me after killing me, or at least trying to, but he's hugging me after he had discovered the truth about me.

I continued to look at him, confused, as he finally stops hugging me. I look up at the man who was once my husband but had no memory of it. 

"Or, I guess that's not your name," he realizes. "What is your name?"

Everybody who ever knew it was now dead, or in front of me with a wiped memory. 

"You can't know my name," I say. "Continue to call me Valeria."

He looks confused. But his confusion seems to be overridden by another emotion. He places his hand against my cheek, I look at it cautiously, I don't understand what he is doing. 

"I'm so sorry," he apologizes. I've heard that before. "I understand that I don't deserve your forgiveness, I understand that I do not deserve to feel your skin or to stand under this moonlight."

"Wait..." I trail off for a moment as I realize it. "Wait, you still love me?"

He takes a deep breath. He nods, "I love you, Valeria."

I was still so shocked. I was ready for him to hate me. For me to have to use mind control to make him love me again. But he still did.

"But, why?" he asks me. "Why do you wear her skin?"