34

5 years ago.

"I don't understand - he didn't just vanish after walking through that forest, he has to be somewhere," I complain in the cave. The mental side effects of searching for somebody for nearly 200 years were starting to take a toll on me. I felt as if I had reached a point of insanity.

200 years. 200 years of trying to search for him - 200 years of revenge built up beside me. I couldn't even remember the face I was trying so hard to get back, all I knew was my black hair and white eyes.

"I know something that could work," she says to me in the darkness. "But it's risky. Dangerous."

"What is it?" I ask quickly. I didn't care about the danger or risk. I had been waiting for centuries for these angels and demons to die, for me to be free. For us to be free.

"You could sneak into Heaven, and find an angel's skin to wear," she tells me. "But you'll need to bring the body back down here. Having that body hidden could save your life if the demons ever found out you're a mimic."

I agreed instantly. There was almost nothing I wouldn't do to return to my old self. 

It felt strange. To see Heaven again. I knew my soul would no longer go there. But it also wouldn't go to Hell, I was technically dead right now, my soul would go nowhere. I questioned if the Grim Reaper was hunting me down. I'm dead, yet I still have my soul, he's owed it. 

It looked the exact same as it had centuries ago. I knew exactly where to walk and hide, as I was dead, I could pass through the gates. You cannot banish a dead person. I duck behind objects as angels fly around through the sky.

My eyes land behind a large cloud. I see a pair of shoes. I slowly make my way over there, behind the cloud, making sure nobody could see me. I watch the girls back as she stands and practices a spell. Her hair is light brown and wavy. 

"Hello," I say. It makes her jump. "What's your name?"

Her eyes widen as she sees me. As if she sees a disgusting monster. People used to tell me I was the most beautiful woman they had ever seen. Now people look at me like I'm hideous. 

She opens her mouth, maybe to scream, but I quickly step toward her and put my hands on the sides of her head. Her eyes turn white as I use mind control and say, "You will not scream, and you will answer my questions."

I remove my hands and watch as her eyes become brown again.

She looks confused as she answers, "My name is Valeria Brookes."

"And who are your parents?" I ask.

"Marceline and Joseph," she answers. She doesn't know why she's answering.

"Siblings?"

"No." 

"And what is your personality like?" I ask.

"I'm selfless, I'm kind, and I'm smart," she tells me. "Smart enough where they tell me I can go to the boarding school one day."

I look her up and down. I scan her face. She was pretty. I grab a strand of her hair, it's wavy just as mine had been. I decide out loud, "You'll do."

Her eyebrows tug together as she asks, "What do you-"

I do the spell. My teeth clench as it happens, it's painful as my appearance shifts into hers, but I cannot scream. 

Eventually, her body drops, and I touch my face. I turn and look around for a mirror, and then I find one. I touch my face as I see myself look like a normal person again for the first time in centuries. As I look at my reflection in the mirror, I say, practicing, "Hello. My name is Valeria Brookes."