32

200 years ago.

Quietly, I enter through the gates, trying to not make a noise. And I'm successful. I take the ring off my finger and slip it into my pocket. 

A demon. I had been - I was in love with a demon. Married to one. Experienced the world with one. But I knew I couldn't do this, it was wrong, I was betraying my people, the ones who love me.

"Where have you been?" my father's voice makes me jump. As I turn around, he stands there angrily. I gulp. The Lord, while merciful, did not like being lied to.

"I...." I start thinking of lies. But I decide to be truthful. "I was on Earth."

His eyebrows raise. He questions, his tone angry, "Earth. Why were you on Earth without permission, Luella?"

My lips part. Angels are not supposed to lie, and I had been, but I could no longer lie to the Lord. I confess, "I am married down there, Father."

He is forgiving. He is a God. That is why so many people worship him and why I have been too. He was my father. I knew he would understand. 

"I love him," I say. 

He just continues looking at me. I bow slightly to show my apology. He was to forgive, he was to understand.

"You will not see him again," he demands.

My eyes widen slightly. I stutter as I try to make him understand, "B-but father, he makes me happy, he loves me. You want me to be happy, don't you?"

"What I want, is for you to listen to my rules," he orders. "You are to stay here, live here, and marry here. You have no business being on Earth."

"But father-"

He cuts me off, "Enough, Luella. I am your God - you listen to me."

He turns on his heels and walks away from me as I feel my heart shatter in my chest. He was supposed to understand. He was supposed to want me to be happy. My eyes fill with tears.

I exit out of the gates once again quickly. I hear my father shout, "Get back here!"

But I continue to run while crying. I loved Adonis - why wouldn't he let me touch him? Why wouldn't he want me to be happy? Why was my love forbidden?

I leave Heaven, I fly back down to Earth, I see stars in the sky for the first time and I cry under them. 

The second I land in his backyard, Adonis comes rushing out. His eyes dance around my face and the tears on my cheeks. He asks me, worriedly, "Lu? What's wrong?"

I take a deep breath. I say, "My father says I cannot see you anymore. He says Earth is no place for me."

I didn't understand how that could be true when my love was here. A demon, he chose to be here with me over being in Hell with The Devil, he showed me what happiness was like, Adonis showed me everything. 

"Yet you're here," he observes. 

"I want to be here," I decide. "I want to be on Earth, and I want to be with you."

My words make him smile. He says, "I wish I could dry your tears."

I laugh slightly as I wipe them away. 

And I spent my first night on Earth there. I saw constellations, the stars, I loved them. I saw my first sunrise as Adonis cooked us breakfast. And for the next year, I did not return to Heaven once.

It's late at night. We lay in bed together, looking at each other. I hold my hand close to him, but I don't touch him, even though he tells me it is worth the burning.