30

It's as if I don't have a brain right now, I don't know what's happening, I can't think, the last memory I have is kissing Valeria in the rain. My entire body burns, my veins feel poisonous as I scream. I'm stuck to something, a table maybe, chains prevent me from moving as my blood feels as if it is trying to kill me.

Not able to think, only able to feel pain, there's one thing I'm capable of thinking about. I shout, "Valeria, where's Valeria!"

In my mind, I could not see anything, only her face.

I feel a cloth material rub against my forehead. I breathe heavily as I try to get out of the chains. Selena says calmly, "Relax, Adonis, you're infected. It'll pass in a few days."

I don't understand her words. It's as if I cannot speak. My blood burns, my body sweats, I try to get out of chains I don't even know how I got in.

"Valeria, somebody get me Valeria," I say, my heart rate elevated. How did I get here, I wanted to know, I wanted to think, but I couldn't. 

"She's dead, Adonis," Selena says while wiping the sweat off my face again. But the words don't sound like words to me.

Whatever sickness, whatever poison filled my body, it was paralyzing. All I could remember was Valeria's face, I wanted her here with me, I needed her here with me. I question the girl who had been speaking to me, "Where's Valeria? Is she alright?"

She responds, but again, I can't understand her words. Chained, I try to get out to get to her, but I'm too weak. I'm not sure for how long, but I remain stuck here, calling out for her. 

𓆩♡𓆪

My muscles feel weak and stiff as my eyes open. They open slowly, my body temperature feels normal again, I try to sit up but am stopped by the chains. I ripped them off, having the strength this time, and stood up as I remembered everything.

The heart that people say I do not have drops. I whisper to myself, "I killed her."

"You did," Selena says from behind me. I turn around to look at her. "I see you're finally back and the sickness has passed. When you took her soul, it made you sick, probably a spell."

My eyebrows crease together. I ask, "Why? Why did I do that? I didn't want to kill her."

"You felt differently after seeing she had been lying to you. The vampire we sent to go get her has buried her body near the school," she says. But no. I remembered that, I remembered seeing her as something other than an angel, but I would not have killed her over that. I'd never hurt her, yet I did, I took her life, why?

All I wanted was her here, right in front of me, it didn't matter if she was a mimic or not. I killed the woman I love.

And I had no idea why.

Selena stands in front of me. She pushes my messy hair back. She says, "You're King now, Adonis. The mimic infecting your judgment is now dead, but you need to find the angels body."

King. I was King to the people I had betrayed. 

"The angel's body?" I question.

"A mimic can only appear as somebody else if they have the person's body unconscious," she tells me. "Valeria appeared as the last angel, meaning she had the angel's body hidden somewhere. You need to find it, kill it, and we'll be free."

I couldn't even think about this right now. All I could think about was the fact that I was responsible for killing the girl that I loved, the girl I promised to protect. I probably look drunk as I turn and walk away, it can't be true, she can't be dead, I couldn't have killed her.