7

V A L E R I A

"Everybody, on the bus - and Aaron, if you do that spell that turns the tires into pigs again you'll be suspended!" a teacher calls out to us.

There were multiple different buses. I got on with Hazel, Cristella, and Aaron. I sat with Aaron, Cristella and Hazel beside us. Hazel smiled, "I'm so excited. I can't wait to see the mountains."

We were heading up north to the mountains, it was to learn about history, demons had hidden out in these mountains before being banished from Heaven. All species were involved, the rocks are filled with claw marks from wolves, angel and demon blood still stains the rock, and stone walls fallen from spells. 

As we drive along the road, and Aaron annoyingly hums beside me, I notice that Adonis has gotten on this bus. Near the front, I could see him sitting with Stella. She smiled. Laughed. 

"I'm most excited about drinking," Cristella whispered. "We'll have what we need to make alcohol up there."

I wasn't a big drinker. So I just nodded. Adonis barely speaks to anybody, I wondered what Stella could be laughing so hard about.

I took out Wuthering Heights from my bag and flipped to where I had left off. My eyebrows lower. As I flip the page, I see a sentence highlighted, "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." I looked up at the back of Adonis' black hair, wondering if it was he who highlighted it. 

I wanted to see the land in which angels fought off the demons. Where some died in the process. I had a bad feeling history may be repeating itself. It's been keeping me up at night. 

The bus came to a stop. The teacher stood up and yelled, "Girls stay on the right, and boys on the left!"

We all got off the bus and started walking right. A teacher grabbed Aaron by the shoulder and said, "Nu-uh. Other building, Aaron."

He swore under his breath and said goodbye to us. Hazel, Cristella, and I walked into the building with many beds since we were staying a night, and we tossed our belongings onto three beds beside each other. 

Stella glared at me the entire time I put my stuff down. I pretended like I didn't see her, but I saw her trying to kill me with her eyes.

We went outside after, following our teachers up to the rocks. They told the story to us, "Hundreds of years ago, the first demon was created when their soul turned to darkness. Originally an angel, they became corrupt as they started siding with dark witches, using spells to make them more powerful. When this was found out, all of those who had turned evil were banished from Heaven to these grounds on Earth. But the demons wanted revenge. A long battle ensued until the angels were able to curse all of the demons to Hell."

We stopped at the rocks. They were just how I had imagined. I could see the claws, the ancient blood where angels and demons had died.

"Now, demons are stuck in the underworld, and angels hide out somewhere on Earth," they say. "A demon did manage to escape the underworld and slaughtered over 200 angels. But...they do say the demon that did this will get their karma."

My eyebrows lowered. I had never heard of that. I question, "Karma?"

The teacher smiles. They nod, "Yes, karma. Angels would do anything to protect their people. Perhaps something was done in their final moments. It's just a theory, of course, as none are here to speak."

My eyebrows lowered. The teachers continued showing us around and explaining things.

"If a demon ever did come here, I'd kick their ass," a guy said in the crowd, making people laugh.