43

In the meadow, it's just him and I. That's what I like. When life is just him and I. But it feels like it never is, there's always somebody - something. The girl in the cave, the voices in his head, the dead angel's souls inside him, it felt like we were never alone. 

I did not feel bad for having him kill the angels despite once being one. The second I fell in love with somebody on Earth, it didn't matter who it was, I was a monster to them. They all turned their backs on me. And so, a monster I became. Killing the Lord. Killing any angel who knew my name. Getting them all killed at the hand of a demon. 

"What are you thinking about over there?" Adonis asks. We sit in the bright green grass under the sun. The warm wind blows our hair and it also blows his satin shirt. 

"I just wish we could love normally," I confess. I begin pulling pieces of grass out of the ground. "Our love is a sin. And we are forced to pay for it daily."

"I'll sin every day as long as it's with you," he replies. "But I wish I could give you the life that you want. I wish I could make you happy."

"You do make me happy," I tell him.

He looks forward, out at nature, while I look at his side profile. While looking forward, he says, "I'm a threat to you, Valeria."

"You won't hurt me, Adonis," I reply. I place my hand over his but I can tell that it's not enough to convince him. 

"What happens if the angel's body dies?" he asks me. "You will not die with it. Right?"

"No," I shake my head. "I just won't be able to wear her skin anymore - but I used to be an angel, it's all I've known, if I did not have her skin to wear I'm not sure what I would do."

There were no other angels left besides her. I'd have no other skin to wear. But I have her body hidden in a dark cave north of the woods, it's secluded, nobody would ever go there.

"Our love may not be normal, Adonis, but it's worth it," I tell him. He looks back at me now. He still looks worried about something, maybe scared, so I try to change his mood. 

I grab onto him and pull him back onto the grass with me and make him roll with me down the hill where we had seen each other for the first time. I hold onto him and laugh as we roll down the hill, grass gets in my hair but I don't mind. We stop once we reach the bottom of the hill and I land on my back with him on top of me. 

He looks down at me while I laugh. He smiles at my laugh. But then, it changes.

My laugh slowly dies out as his smile drops to a blank expression. The sunny sky above us begins to turn cloudy and dark. My eyebrows pull together as I look at Adonis anxiously. His expression does not change from the empty look on his face as the sky gets darker and darker. 

"Adi?" I say softly. He still does not change his face. "Adonis, I see them telling you to kill me right now." 

Still, nothing. Thunder erupts through the sky, the longer the look on his face remains, the more anxious I get. I begin trying to get up, but I can't, he's too strong. As the thunder becomes louder I start trying harder and harder but I cannot move. 

And then, he blinks. The look on his face changes. He looks confused, he sees me trying to get out from underneath him. He moves, I quickly push myself up, and the dark clouds in the sky begin to fade until the blue sky is all that remains. 

"I'm sorry," he whispers. I can tell how much it pains him to not be able to control it sometimes.

I watch him as he stands to his feet. A painful expression flashes on his face for a moment as he moves, his hand holding the area under his ribcage. I ask him, "What's wrong?"