17

What was I living for now? As I lay in my bed, I question how the sun rises. It peaks through the trees, landing on my bed, making my eyes wince. How was the world still going on? How did nature not care? Everybody is dead, all of my people are dead, and there is nobody left to care besides me. 

Knocks come from my door. I pull my covers over my head. Cristella says from the other side of the door, "Hey Val....we're going to class now, we hope to see you there."

I don't think I've left my room in nearly a week. The demon has killed everybody and knows what I look like. It felt as if I were living to die. I had lost everybody, all my family, all my friends, I was a realist, I knew I'd be dead soon enough. The one thing angels are supposed to do is save. Yet we could not even save ourselves. 

I don't move once as the sun is now replaced by the moon. In my sheets, I look at the stars, I look at the Heavens where none of them could go. 

No. I'm not just gonna lay down and fucking die like this. I push myself out of bed and get into the shower.

The demon is winning. But I'm not going to make it so easy for them, laying in my bed and letting them kill me. I wanted revenge. I wanted to be the one to kill them to avenge my people. They don't get to win after everything they've done. 

The soap that I lather against my body gets washed down the drain. Enough of this sulking. I needed to actually do something. I need to prove that I'm not weak. 

I was not going to be their last victim. 

𓆩♡𓆪

A D O N I S

Valeria's seat has been empty for a week.

I'm not sure what it is exactly that's stopping me. I know where she is, I know she's laying in her room, yet I have not killed her yet. It's my duty, I am to kill her, yet my murderous hands hesitate. 

I walk through The Underworld, but as I do, I pause in shock. I look around me, at the firey rocks, at the sparks of fire that float through the air. I see the many dead bodies on the ground, their skin is gone, they are just bones now. I'm failing them. I'm failing my people for not killing a girl who would kill me the second she learned who I was. 

I can already tell that my father is upset as I enter the room. I stand at the bottom of the steps before him. 

"Bow," he says when I don't on my own. I usually always do without hesitation, but now, there was something that made me not want to. His jaw clenched and his voice turned angrier. "Bow."

I bowed my head for him, looking at the ground as I did, knowing many people had lost their heads at this exact spot.

I look back up at him and his crown. His crown is what I look at more. 

"It's been a week since you said there was only one left. I don't understand what is taking so long," his voice is frustrated. I finally take my eyes off the crown. "Your people are dying down here, more and more with each passing day, Adonis."

"You are their hero, they are relying on you," he says. "So, tell me. Where is this last angel?"

I knew the answer. I glanced to the side. The demons, they all trusted me, they were loyal to me, I knew that if I became King and freed them I'd have a loyal army for eternity. Yet I'm letting them die, over a brunette with big brown eyes.

I think of telling the truth. I think of doing what is right for my dying people. That is what a King would do.

"I don't know," I lie. I know it's wrong for my people and yet I lie anyway. I don't know why I do, but I do, Valeria would wish me death over and over again if she knew I was a demon, yet here I was lying for her. It was illogical.