16

I thought maybe I was hallucinating. Maybe the person who was after me put a spell on me to envision things that were not true. Valeria could not be the last angel. I spent more time with her than anybody else, there's no way she could've fooled me that badly.

I follow the white wings in the distance that get further and further away. The brown wavy hair blows in the wind, I catch sight of the charm bracelet she always wears reflecting off the moon. It can't be. I'm hallucinating. 

Eventually, the angel lands, and I land in the distance. I watch from behind a tree. She steps forward, it looks as if she were walking to nothing, but then I realize what it is. And once I realized it, I could see it. 

A house appears. I watch her walk up the steps.

And out steps Gabriel. 

My jaw clenches upon seeing him. He cursed my people. All I want is to rush forward, take his pathetic soul, and strip him of an afterlife, but something stops me. It's not a hallucination. I watch her as she turns and hugs him, and I see her face. I see her freckles and dimples and brown eyes. 

They talk. They both look upset. I can imagine what it is they're talking about. The fact that they're losing, that she's the only one left. 

I look at her. The girl I've dreamed of. The girl I've danced with. The girl I talk about books with. In the blink of an eye, she went from the girl I trusted most to one of my greatest enemies. Her, her people did this to us.

My father was right. Angels are deceptive. She enters the house with him, I continue standing in the trees. 

I must kill her. 

𓆩♡𓆪

I sit in class. I didn't get much sleep last night. I stared at my bookshelf, at the novels I had discussed with her before. 

She walks in the room and I'm forced to act like I don't know the truth. That I'm not the one who killed her parents. That her people didn't curse mine to misery for eternity. My jaw is tight.

She sits in front of me. That makes it worse, but then it's even harder when I smell her perfume from here.

She turns around in her seat. She smiles at me, "Thank you for leaving that book in my room. I've already finished it."

There was nothing for us to discuss. I didn't respond to her. She's an angel, I'm a demon, we shouldn't be communicating, I should've already killed her. She looks confused when I don't respond. The girl I need to kill asks, "What's wrong?"

I can't answer. I can't look her in her eyes and tell her I have to kill her. I've never struggled to kill somebody in my entire life, but now I did. 

"Nothing," is all I say.

She looks even more confused now. The bell rings, and she turns back around. I spend the entire class ignoring the board and looking at the back of her light brown hair.

Once class is over, I grab my things and quickly exit the classroom. I knew what I needed to do tonight. Valeria called my name, I ignored her as I walked down the hallway and slammed my door shut behind me. 

The wait is excruciating. I think of how long I've been waiting for this, I think of my people who are dying down there at Gabriel's hands. 

And as the moon replaces the sun in the sky, I know that it's time. 

I fly to the area I had followed Valeria to. I should've expected it to be this spell, angels have been good at hiding, and now it made much more sense why I could never find them.