28

V A L E R I A

I stand outside on the balcony, my palms pressed against the cement ledge as I look forward. The sky was dark and cloudy, angry, the wind was more aggressive than it should've been. I look down, at the ground below, at the spot they found a student dead after they jumped.

I look back up at the trees. My stomach felt heavy, like something was coming, only whatever evil it was I was fearing was already at this school.

"I've searched the entire school for you," Adonis says behind me. The sound of his voice, I let myself shut my eyes and smile, trying to enjoy something good in my life without thinking of everything else.

I turn around, my lower back pressing against the ledge. The direction of the wind blows my hair behind me. I say, "Found me. Now what?"

Slowly, his dark and shiny shoes step toward me. It feels like with each step my smile grows more. He reaches me, placing his hand against my face, his eyes moving to my lips. I say quietly, "Be careful, Adonis, somebody might be watching."

"Let them," he replies.

He kisses me, not caring about who sees, not caring about any consequences or judgment. And although I shouldn't, I once again kiss his lips. 

When he pulls away, I look at him and the expression on his face. It's the first time I've seen him show his happiness on his face.

"You look at me like that," I say softly.

"Like what?" he questions.

"Like you care for me," I say. "Like you feel for me."

He is quick to say, "I do. I just struggle with saying it. Words - this language - it's not enough for me to describe how I feel about you, Valeria. Maybe I'll create one, just for you."

The dark clouds begin to rain. The drops of water hit us, but neither of us moved.

"Since when did you become so romantic, Adonis Priest?" I ask teasingly as raindrops roll down my skin. But I don't move. I stay here with him.

"Since I met you, Valeria Brookes," he says.

I smile as thunder rumbles in the sky. We don't move because of the rain - we continue to stand, he presses his lips on mine once again. We kiss under the dark clouds and cold rain, listening to the thunder as our lips move together.

𓆩♡𓆪

The storm continues throughout the night, but it doesn't prevent me from sleeping. I lay in my bed, the lightning lights up my room whenever it strikes.

I hear a noise. It's enough to pull me out of my sleep, but I've always been a light sleeper. I slowly opened my eyes, looking into the corner of the room where I had heard something. My room was pitch black, I had no lights on, and the lightning strikes did not reach that corner.

"Adonis?" I ask since he would be the only person in my room. Slowly, I push myself up, walking slowly into the corner of darkness.

I'm almost at the chair. I feel anxiety-ridden. But I force myself to step forward and touch it.

I let out a breath of relief as I felt that nobody was there. Paranoia. It's strong.

I turn back around, I jump as somebody is standing there, I can't even see their face with how dark it is. I try and push them away, but I don't react fast enough. Their hand grabs my hair, hitting my head against my mirror, and the last thing I can remember is the sound of shattering glass before falling unconscious.