14

A D O N I S

"All classes are canceled today. Another student has been found deceased."

As I sit in my room, I smile to myself as I hear those words. I knew there couldn't be that many left. With each passing day, I got closer and closer to freeing them. 

As I walk down the hallway, people are scared. While I get closer each night, people also get more afraid. I've heard that people aren't sleeping at night, ready for the door to open, ready to try and take down the faceless killer. 

I go to the library. Valeria isn't there. I go outside. She isn't there. I'm not exactly sure why I'm looking for her. I saw the way her friends looked at her last night simply for dancing with me. 

Speaking of her friend. Hazel walks down the hallway in the opposite direction of me. I stare at her. She avoids my eyes, acting like I don't exist. I think about stopping her. But I decide not to.

The last place I checked was where she was. In the church. As I stepped foot inside, I saw the back of her head sitting near the front. Witches and fairies tend to be the only species that believe in religion. 

I take a seat next to her, looking at the cross in front of us, knowing the creator of it would wish me death over and over again in every lifetime. 

Valeria doesn't look at me. She doesn't speak. She doesn't acknowledge that I'm there. 

"Leave me alone, Adonis," she says. "I've had a bad day. Find somebody else to bother."

"But I enjoy bothering you," I say. My voice echoes slightly in the ancient room. 

Slowly, she looks over at me. I look at her. My expression is empty while hers is clearly upset. She asks me, "Why are you here?"

"Because you are," I state. "What's wrong, Valeria?"

She rubs her lips together as she plays with her bracelet. I hate that sound. I put my hand over her hand which fiddles with it to stop her as I maintain eye contact. 

"Leave me alone," she says. "I'm not in the mood to hang out with somebody that borderline hates me."

"That's debatable," I say. She's silent. "I'm guessing your friends said some things about me?"

Her silence answers my question. I nod. 

"I'll leave you alone, Valeria, if that's what you want," I tell her. I stand up, and her eyes follow me. "But not because it's what they want."

She looks down. I exited the church, I didn't belong in there anyway, all the ghosts that lingered in there probably gave me death glares. 

Last night, I dreamt again.

Valeria was in it. Dancing with me, the same way we had been in the club. But we weren't in a club. We were in a meadow, the sun shined down on us, and I saw myself smiling as I danced with her. 

But it was a nightmare, not a dream, I had a nightmare of feeling happiness with a witch. 

𓆩♡𓆪

V A L E R I A

Sitting at the lunch table was awkward. I didn't say a word. Neither did Hazel.

Cristella just looked between us awkwardly.

Classes were canceled for a few days, so I hadn't seen them in a while. I had been staying in my room, reading and painting, but now I sat in silence.

Cristella breaks the silence by sighing. She says, "Come on, guys, this is like super awkward. Can you two just make up already?"

Hazel and I just looked at each other. I thought she was going to ignore her until she finally said, "You're right. I'm sorry for how I talked to you, Valeria. I'm just trying to look out for you."