49

A D O N I S

I couldn't understand it. How did her life turn into just that splash? I watched her hit the water, that small splash happening right after her last appearance on Earth, how did that splash show her life? 

I never realized this curse put on us was deadly. Because we would both rather die than be without each other. And we could never be together, we realized that now, no amount of fighting it would change that we could never be happy together.

"Stop," I hear the voices say. I lean over the edge and the wind gets more aggressive. "Leave her to die."

There was no point for me without her. I'd either save her or die trying. I jumped off, falling through the air toward the water, if this was my last time feeling the wind, I was okay with that. If my life was destined to be lived without her then I don't want it.

I hit the water, it's cold, but demons are cold-blooded. My eyes burn as I open them underneath the water. The current was strong, pulling me toward the rocks, I used all my strength to fight against it. My lungs burned and burned the longer I stayed underwater, I looked around, trying to find her. But I couldn't.

If this was how I die, I accept it. As this reality is crueler than any death. If my love on this Earth is a sin I must pay for with my life may I accept death with open arms. 

As my lungs are about to reach their capacity, I see something in the distance. A hand. A hand with a bracelet I could recognize anywhere. I began swimming toward it, my muscles burning as I fought the current. I swam over to her, I could see her stuck in the rocks with her eyes closed and her hand floating above her head. 

I grab onto her hand and pull. I pull until her body is out of the rocks and I hold her close to me as I swim up. I take in a large breath as I break the surface, I continue to hold her against my chest as I swam. 

When I reached the area of rocks I could stand in, I held her in my arms as I lifted her out of the water. Her eyes remained shut, her skin pale, and water fell from her body as I walked onto the grass under the sunrise. The sky began to turn pink. I wondered if it was just for her. Pink sunrises were her favorite.

I lay her on the ground and begin doing compressions on her chest. I do them over and over again, waiting to see her green eyes, waiting to hear her voice again. And if I did not, I would soon join her, in a place where our love was not forbidden. 

Right as I'm about to lose hope, her eyes open and she gasps. 

𓆩♡𓆪

V A L E R I A

When my eyes open, I'm confused. I should be dead right now. I see the sun beginning to rise - I shall not curse it with my presence, I must die before the sun is fully visible. I see Adonis standing over me, the water that drips from him tells me he jumped in after me. 

"I need to die, Adonis," I speak with burning lungs as I push myself to my feet. "You were supposed to let me die."

I'm expecting him to argue. To tell me no. But instead, he nods and says, "I know."

"Let me die with you," he says. "I'd rather die with you than live without you."

"We can't kill each other, Adonis, the curse...." I begin, but my sentence trails off as I think about something. "What if you said my name?"

He knew I couldn't tell him my name as anybody who speaks it dies, as well as I. 

"No!" she says. "You don't understand it, Luella."