11

A D O N I S

I'm a demon, who has been killing for years, collecting souls, wearing blood on my face without ever smiling once. 

But now, I stand, looking in my mirror. I wear a suit and tie. I put gel in my hair as I get ready to go to a dance I do not care for with people I do not care about.

A knock comes from my door. I look at my reflection for a moment longer before opening the door.

Stella and a bunch of other vampires stand there, waiting. God, it was fucking annoying. How the vampires followed me around like a bunch of lost goddamn puppies. If I wasn't aware of how beneficial it was to have them on my side, I'd kill them all in seconds. 

I walk with them. They talk about things I once again do not care about. Lights flash, people hold cups, it was a yearly party. I had skipped it my first year here.

I'm not sure what it's for, but I don't care enough to ask.

We walk further in, a vampire whispers to a witch who puts a spell on their cup, changing the water to alcohol. While the vampires look around, wondering who to dance with, who to drink with, I look around to see who the angels are. 

As I look around, my eyes land on Valeria. She straightened her hair and wore a tight black dress. Silver star hair clips kept some hair out of her face and matched her earrings. I look at who she dances with. Her friends. One of them is a guy. My head tilts.

"Adonis, dance with me," Stella says. I keep watching Valeria. I watch her walk off by herself, probably on her way to get something to drink.

I don't answer her as I leave the group and walk over to Valeria. I cut her off, stepping in front of her, making her almost run into me. She goes to apologize until she looks up and sees that it's me. 

"Did you read the book?" I ask her.

"No," she says. 

My eyebrows lower slightly. She then says, "I see your girlfriend trying to murder me with her eyes from across the room."

I look over my shoulder. Through the crowd, I can see Stella. I flash a look at her and she turns around, taking her eyes off us. I look back at Valeria.

"I'd say your boyfriend is doing the same, but you don't have one," I say. "And bless the poor soul who is your first."

"First? You think I've never had a boyfriend before?" she questions.

"No, I don't," I say. "Any sane man would run."

"Then why are you standing here, Adonis?"

"Do you believe me to be sane, Valeria?"

The music suddenly changes from a happy song to a slow dance song. I grab her hand in mine, holding it in the air while my other hand goes to her waist. I don't let her run from the conversation, I make her dance with me. 

"No, I don't," she says, her hand so small in mine, so warm. "A sane man wouldn't have the reputation that you have."

I know some people look at us. Some girls who I'd never even glance at shoot Valeria daggers, I know she doesn't want to dance with me, I know she's worried about her reputation after being seen dancing with me. 

"You should give the book a chance," I say as we sway slightly. I begin to say a quote from it. "There are all kinds of love in this world-"

She cuts me off and finishes the quote, "But never the same love twice."

My eyebrows lower. I say, "You did read it."

Her lips turn up slowly. She says, "Read it and finished it."