40

A D O N I S

The memories came back to me all at once and it felt as if I got to relive them all. I got to experience everything we had done together for the first time all over again, like a second first. As she walks beside me, I know I failed her. She was my wife, I vowed to protect her, only to drive a knife through her heart for a reason I do not know. 

It was hard to not touch her as I walked with her. I remembered just how much I loved her, and even though it was a different body, my love was still the same. She doesn't feel the same as she walks next to me and it's for a good reason. But it does not change the fact that I wanted to hold her hand in mine, but I knew I did not deserve it, she wasn't mine anymore, I had ruined that. 

"Why do you keep staring at me?" she questions. 

"Is it a crime to look at my wife?"

"Ex-wife," she makes it clear. 

"Did we ever really get a divorce, though?"

"Yes," she says sternly. "I moved on once that blade went through my chest."

"So, you've seen somebody else?" I ask. I try to hide the jealousy in my voice but I see it in her eyes that she recognizes it. 

"You don't get to be jealous, Adonis, not after what you did," she says. But I can't help it. The thought of her with another man created an anger inside my chest which I'm sure brought a storm to Earth above us. She may have stopped loving me. But with my memories back, I never stopped loving her. 

We reach where I thought Selena may be. I was still King until somebody killed me and claimed the throne. But as I looked around, I was not worried about that. Nobody came out to challenge me. Everybody hid. 

I step inside, making sure to go before Valeria. For this exact reason, Selena tries to do a spell at us, probably a fatal one. But I'm able to end her spell, I was already strong before, but becoming King makes you even stronger.

She grunts as she tries her hardest to continue the spell, her face twists in pain and determination. But I stand there, barely moving a finger with no expression on my face as I block it easily. She finally sighs as she gives up.

"Back already?" she says as her eyes move between Valeria and me.

"Guess so," I say. "What do you know, Selena?"

Her eyes continue to shift back and forth. 

"Maybe I don't know. Maybe I can't help you," she says. She then pauses. "But if I could. What do I get out of it? I need something in return. A promise that you will not kill me if I give you the answers you want."

I think for a moment. I quickly decide, "Fine."

I take a step toward her but make sure Valeria is still behind me first. I say, "Tell me everything you know, Selena."

"I started to question it for the first time when you had me do that spell to see who was after you, and the mirror only showed yourself. My spells never fail. It wasn't failing, that was the answer, it was you who was after yourself," she explains. "But why were you your own biggest threat? That part I couldn't understand. Until I touched you one day and I felt something. I could tell it was a curse instantly."

She turns to look at her bookshelf. While her eyes moved around the books, she continued, "So I started to do some research. Investigating, I guess. And when I read the book written about The Lord's daughter 200 years ago, I found it strange how the timeline matched exactly with the time you had left The Underworld and were unable to be found."