23

V A L E R I A

My people should be free now. Their souls I mean, their bodies never will be. They'll stay under the Earth, but at least now, their souls will know freedom. They are no longer trapped inside a place darker than the midnight sky - a demon's soul. Azriel's death should've freed them. 

In the middle of the night, I sneak out to a pond near the school. The rocks crunch beneath my feet as I walk the path and the wind blows my hair back. I see the water in the distance, I walk over to it, the pond filled with many fish.

I kneel before it, careful to not get any dirt on my clothing. I look down into the water, in it I see my reflection and the stars above. 

I shut my eyes as I do the spell. It calls on them. As they are just souls, they have nothing to give me, but I'll at least know they're there. As the last word rolls off my tongue, I open my eyes, ready to see a hint in the water that they now know peace.

My eyebrows tug together. My head tilts. I tap my fingertip against the water and it ripples. Yet I see nothing.

It's strange. I should see something, and yet I see nothing.

I hear a noise behind me. I quickly looked over my shoulder, looking into the darkness to see what was causing the noise, yet I saw nothing. I quickly stood up and began walking back to the school. 

𓆩♡𓆪

There is nothing this school likes more than dances. I walk down the hallway with Hazel and Cristella, on our way to the party. There have been no more deaths. Things are finally feeling as if they were going back to normal, or at least the new normal. 

Life did not stop for death. My people, I missed them, but my life was not over. They would not want mine to end just because theirs did. I know they'd wish me happiness. 

"Okay guys, Dean is going to ask me to dance tonight," Cristella says.

"That's optimistic," Hazel says.

"Optimistic?" Cristella repeats. "Far from. I spelled it to happen. He is also to call me beautiful."

As we enter, I see Stella walking past me. For once she doesn't give me a death glare, but she acts as if I don't exist. 

I believe nearly everybody in school was here. It was full with not much room to move. But out of the hundreds of people, it was one who caught my eye, a certain vampire whose eyes did not leave mine. Adonis stood, wearing black as usual, his dark eyes looking me up and down.

"See something you like, Priest?" I mouth to him.

"Yes," he mouths back.

I roll my eyes and look away from him. I stand, talking to my friends, as well as the people who came to join the conversation randomly. 

The song switches to a slow melody. The second it does, Dean comes up to Cristella and asks her to dance. She pretends to look shocked.

"Standing here alone," Adonis says from behind me. I wished the sound of his voice bothered me more than it did.

Slowly, I turn around. I stare up at him under the blue lights.

"And you're here to change that," I say. "As per usual."

His mouth nearly turns up. Without words, he holds his hand out for me to take, and even though I know I shouldn't, I do. I once again slow dance with a vampire I have no business being around.

"That dress, it looks good on you," he states as we move together.

"Want to borrow it?" I joke to avoid the fact that he complimented me.