21

A Friday night at this school means people sneaking out to parties and teachers walking around the hallway constantly, hoping to give somebody detention. I once again had a dream last night, I dreamt of Valeria, I know that I'm wrong in doing so. Dreaming of the girl whose parents I killed.

They say demons don't have a heart, and all my life I have agreed, but now I question it. Something was keeping me from killing Valeria, and I knew it wasn't my mind. With every insult that spewed out of her lips, I spared her life, with every smile she gave me, I protected her for no reason. Even though she'd probably leave me to die if it came down to it. 

People stare at her as we walk down the hallway. I knew it made her uncomfortable. Our reputations were the opposite, I was known as evil, perhaps even worse, whereas Valeria was seen as the word pure in human form. Perhaps I tainted her with each time I touched her. 

"I hate the way they look at me," she whispers under her breath.

"It's not you they look at like that," I say. "It's me."

People see me as so evil that they cannot fathom that Valeria is with me by will, because she wants to be. They assume I'm manipulating her in some way. And maybe to a certain degree I am, but not to harm her, if I told her the truth it would only destroy her, and that is not my goal. 

I knew that Valeria did not see the real me, in more ways than one. While I hid the truth from her, she was also blind to things others saw. It was the angel in her focusing on the good. I'm not sure how she managed to find good in me, but she did and is latched onto that. 

"I'd invite you to the party we're going to tonight, but I can see others wouldn't be too happy about that," she says. 

She does not tell anybody of our kiss, and neither do I, it's a secret between her and me. We broke a rule, one with a big punishment, in history, people have been killed for pursuing another species. Death didn't scare me. The idea of never kissing her again did.

"I'll try not to be too upset," I say sarcastically. We reach her door and stop walking.

I don't know if she'd ever let me kiss her again. Maybe she wouldn't. Maybe my dreams are the closest I'll get to experiencing it again. 

These things that I think, I do not speak, I know she does not think the same. I'm not sure what it is that she's done to me, she's infested my mind, as if I have a disease, one I do not wish to cure, one I'd be willing to die from. Valeria Brookes has me obsessed with her even though my name rarely even crosses her mind.

"Have fun with all your friends tonight, Adonis, I know you have a lot," she smiles. 

"Funny," I say with a straight face. She turns and enters her room, closing the door, yet I still stand there for a moment. 

𓆩♡𓆪

I walk along the trail, back toward the school. A stalker, maybe I can add that name to the list of things you can call me. Evil, a murderer, serial killer, demonic, now stalker. I followed her to the city where she was going, not to bother her, but to ensure she was safe. 

A sound comes from the tree line, I stop walking, I know somebody is there. 

I see the shadow before I see the person. Azriel steps out, here to piss me off again, I'm sure. I say, "I'm not in the mood, Azriel."

I continue walking. His eyes follow me although he does not move. As thunder echoes, his voice is as dark and dangerous. He questions, "How long have you known?"

I stop walking before passing him. His eyes are filled with anger, my eyebrows tug together as I look him up and down. I ask him, "Known what?"

Rain begins to fall from the sky. It's cold. Usually it isn't this cold. Azriel moves, he puts his hands behind his back, he begins slowly walking in a circle around me and I move my head to follow him. The raindrops land on my skin and roll down.