9

V A L E R I A

This school has a serial killer.

As I fly through the night, I can still feel them tucking some hair behind my ear. But now my hair is back in a braid so that it does not get ruined by the windy night.

I land, the building appearing before my eyes, I retract my wings and enter.

"Gabriel?" I call out. He steps into view, he sees the look on my face.

"It's happened again," he says. "Hasn't it?"

I nod. I rush over to him and give him a big hug. He hugs me back tightly.

"I saw them," I tell him as I pull away. "They had no face. It was pure darkness."

Gabriel nods. He says, the words feeling gross for him to say, "That's a demon."

It was no longer speculation. A demon was at school, targeting the angels, trying to wipe us out. But they spared me. They don't think I'm an angel. I felt good that I was doing such a good job, but felt nauseous from anxiety knowing the others had been getting found out.

"I've been seeing things in my dreams, Gabriel," I tell him. "I don't know how to explain it. It feels like an impending doom - I see darkness, corruption, I see demons walking this Earth in our blood."

Gabriel places his hands on my face, my facial expression strained from worry. He says calmly, "That will not happen, Valeria. The demons will never walk this Earth. We're safe here - you need to figure out which student it is."

I nod. I need to do it for all of them, and the ones who have been killed. What I see in my head, all the death, all the screams, 

I must prevent it. 

𓆩♡𓆪

It's hard to focus as I sit in class. I haven't said what I saw last night because I don't want to become a target. The faceless killer already spared me once, but I worried that if I went around confirming the rumors, I would make myself a target. 

"It's time for everybody's favorite part of school....working in pairs!" the teacher exclaims, and everybody starts to groan. 

"But, I want the witches to use certain liquids..." the teacher looks at who was sitting closest to the door. Me. "Valeria and Mr. Priest, can you guys please go to the supply closet and grab some Rosemary bottles?"

I nod. I look over at Adonis, he doesn't nod, but he stands up. 

I haven't spoken to him in a few days, not since we were on the school trip. It felt a little awkward as he walked behind me. 

We step into the closet together. I look around for the rosemary, while Adonis just stands there, leaning against the door.

I grunt after a while of not being able to find it. I say, "Are you gonna help me look for it? Or just stand there?"

"Just stand here," he replied. I rolled my eyes. I nearly forgot how frustrating he was over the past few days.

"Come on, Valeria, you're a smart girl. You'll find it," he says.

"It's literally not in here!" I say. "But you admit that I'm smart?"

He points to the top shelf. I look up and see the rosemary. He says sarcastically, "Yes, Valeria, so smart."

I roll my eyes again. I try and reach it, but I can't. After a few tries, Adonis asks me, "Do you want me to get it?"

"No, I'll get it," I say, trying to jump up and grab it, but I miss it again.