47

V A L E R I A

Everybody has gathered. Every witch, wolf, fairy, and any supernatural creature besides vampires as I have made that species extinct. The entire world would be extinct soon enough as people die in wars that are not necessary. But they do it for me. They do it for an afterlife they will not see. 

The door is shut, I stand behind it, but it will open in a few minutes. When the clock hits the hour, it is time for his execution. Everybody is here to witness the final death of the demonic species. He will be brought to me and put onto his knees. He will look into my eyes as one of my followers cuts his head off.

"Yes, Luella, we're so close," she says to me. She was in control right now. Not me. She controlled my every movement. "After he dies, the world will crumble soon enough, and we will be all that remains." 

My existence was a plague on the Earth taking more and more lives with each passing day. Originally, when she said I was going to become a God, I wanted to lead. Save. Protect the Earth in a way I felt the angels and demons couldn't. But as she became me, as she merged into me, I saw her vision and adapted it. And that was the end of humanity.

The clock is loud and echoes for miles as it hits the hour. On queue, two guards open my doors for me, and I'm able to see the hundreds of people gathered on both sides. I step outside, under the sun, and look at the walkway they will bring him on.

I was not to be crossed. And Adonis had crossed me several times. In the distance, I see it. Two guards hold both of his arms as they force him to walk down the walkway. His wrists are chained together in front of him, but something that reflects off the sun catches my eye, he wears a cross around his neck. 

His head hangs as he walks. I assume he does not have the energy to lift his head. He had gone nearly half a year without eating, and while it would not kill him, it weakened him down to nearly a human's strength. 

They stop walking as they reach the stairs and release him. He collapses down onto his knees. Slowly, he lifts his head up, I can tell how difficult it is for him. I look into his eyes, into that dark brown color, and for some reason, I see our memories together again.

"Stop," she snaps. She pushes the memories away once again so that I cannot remember them. 

I walk down the stairs and stop directly in front of him. I look down at him. His Adam's apple moves as he swallows. 

"Did you know that today is our anniversary?" he asks me. "I asked you to marry me on this day 205 years ago."

I remember it. When he asked me. When I said yes. When he gave me the ring he had created himself.

"Stop thinking about that!" she shouts. "I'm taking control now."

And she does. I say loud enough for everybody to hear, "We are here for the execution of Adonis Priest. King of The Underworld."

"I wish for you to end my suffering, darling," he says. "I will not live in a world where I cannot love you."

He says it quietly. So quietly only I can hear it. But she doesn't care - it doesn't make her feel anything. But it makes me feel something. 

I turn to look at the man with the sword and gesture for him to come over. He stands beside Adonis, waiting for my cue. 

I watch Adonis reach into his pocket and pull out that small flower. He holds it in his hands. His voice sounds weak and dehydrated yet he still speaks with a smile as he says, "My only request is that you make it quick. So my soul and go into the universe and wait for you."