44

I run through the forest. The heavy rain hits me, it runs down my face, it darkens my hair, it's cold against my skin but I don't stop running. He can't kill it, if he kills it I lose being able to be an angel, I'll lose a part of myself. But he had once again been consumed by the darkness inside him. That made me lose an even bigger piece of myself.

This was how it was always going to be. He couldn't fight it forever. We were cursed, ill-fated, there would never be a happy ending for us in this lifetime. We would always end in tragedy. 

I'm cold, I'm wet, strands of my wet hair stick to my face and the lightning provides me with enough light to follow the path. I reach the cave. I run down the stone steps, I'm surprised I don't fall. The lightning flashes into the cave as I reach the bottom. And I see him.

He stands over her body. The body lays against the grey ground. He holds a knife over her, the look in his eyes is not the Adonis I loved, but rather a different version that loving would result in my death. I shout as he raises the blade, "No!"

He pierces it through her heart with so much force I think it gets stuck in the stone below. Her skin turns white, I shout as I feel her appearance leaving me. I clutch at my skin, at my hair, as I feel it leave me. My white eyes return, my pale skin, my black hair. I was forced to look like the monster I was cursed to be for loving the man in front of me who would always betray me. 

Slowly, he moves his empty eyes up from the body to me. All the angels were dead now. Hell would be released onto Earth, all the demons who survived my plans would come for me. I knew that. 

"You were supposed to fight it," angry tears fill my eyes. "You were supposed to fight it for me, you owed me that. But you will always get consumed by darkness. We can never be happy together."

I cry while I say the words that shatter my heart. But they do not upset him. His face has no emotion on it. He pulls the blade out of the dead angel's chest, her blood drips from the tip of the blade. 

I could never have happiness with the man I love. My father made sure of that. 

"Was it worth it, Valeria?" he questions. Lightning fills the cave once again. "Did you become the God that you wanted?"

He steps over her body and I take a step back. He continues, "You're a fake God. Not a real one."

"We can't be together," I whisper to myself as my soul breaks. I truly realize it at this moment. "We can never be together, Adonis."

The words don't upset him. His face and eyes were empty, there was no love for me that remained. 

"No," he agrees. "We can't."

He raises his sword and I quickly turn and run out of the cave. I ran back into the cold rain caused by him, I did not wear an angel's skin any longer, I could not fly, all I had were my fatigued legs as I ran from my once husband. 

I nearly slip as I run, I have to blink a lot to get the rain out of my eyes, or maybe they are tears. This was all for nothing, I had done this all for nothing, the girl in the cave was right, there would never be a happy ending for us, we could never be together in this life. 

As I run, I look over my shoulder. In the dark sky, I see his black wings above the trees, hunting me as if I were his prey. 

I never should've fallen in love with him again. I should've stuck to the plan. I trip on a tree branch, I look behind me as I try and get up quickly, but it is too late. He stood in front of me, holding the blade, my back pressed against the tree with nowhere to go as I could not get up. 

Raindrops fall from his face. A memory flashed in my head of when I experienced rain for the first time. With him, I felt it for the first time with him. While we could not touch, we danced in it, as he told me how much he loved me.