20

A D O N I S

Azriel has never really taken me seriously. Ever since we were children, he always believed he was better than me and stronger than me, he did not find me intimidating, and he enjoyed provoking me.

That's why he kept talking to Valeria. To get a reaction out of me. And he was getting what he wanted.

I see him walking down the hallway in the opposite direction. He walks with a few vampires, probably telling them a story about how fucking cool he thinks he is. I keep standing where I am as he walks, but he stops when he reaches me since I prevent him from walking any further.

"Azriel," I say his name calmly. "A word."

He already knows what this is about. He nodded and the vampires he walked with continued on their way to class. He smiles at me, "What's up, little brother?"

"I know you've never been the smartest so let me refresh your memory," I say. "Leave Valeria alone. Don't provoke me any further."

Even now, I can tell he is not taking me seriously. He grins, "A demon and a witch, scandalous."

"We aren't together, Azriel," I say sternly. I then whisper a confession. "But I enjoy being around her."

My brother's eyes look around my face. I'd never talked about anybody like this before. I thought that maybe by telling him the truth, as my brother, he would understand and back off.

But instead, he laughs. 

"Are you serious, Adonis?" he asks after his laugh comes to an end. "You are a lie to her. The version of you she thinks she sees is not real. She would never like the real you."

"Besides," he adds as he shrugs. "I think she may be the last angel."

He goes to take a step around me when my empty heart drops. I grab him by his arm and pull him back to look at me. I question, "What the hell do you mean by that?"

"Angels are deceptive, masters of lies," he says. "All the obvious people aren't going to be it. It's going to be the last person you'd suspect, the person who reacts the least...and that's Valeria."

My jaw is so tight. He turns and continues walking down the hallway, I watch him, thinking things I shouldn't. 

𓆩♡𓆪

My mind has been racing all day. As Azriel and I stand before our parents and are told we've lost more of our own, I once again find myself questioning why I'm choosing this girl's life over my own people. 

"I'm expecting news," my dad says. 

But I shake my head. I say, "We still have not found them."

"Or maybe we have," Azriel quickly says after me. My father looks at him, confused, and gestures for him to keep talking. "I suspect this one girl. Valeria Brookes."

The second her name gets spoken, I know it will never leave The Underworld, people will remember it forever.

"So, why don't you kill her?" he asks us.

I have to think of something quickly. I say, "We can't. Not without proof."

I had proof that I did not speak, a sight and a confession. Both of them looked at me. I continued, "The school is one kill away from shutting down for the year. If we guess wrong, the real angel will leave, and we will never see them again."

I keep my face blank. My father's eyes scan my face, I stand here as I wait to see if he believes me. The seconds felt like hours. 

"Okay," my father says, and I know he believes me. I feel relief, but it's short-lived as he speaks again. "Bring something down of hers, something close to her, something she wears often. Selena can do a spell on it to see."