13

A D O N I S

"Adonis, we have lost some of our own."

My dad's words echo, they look as if they pain my mom's face. My eyebrows lower slightly. While I knew some were dying, I didn't know they were that close to death.

"They're looking to you, Adonis, as their leader. To be their hero," he says. My father cannot leave The Underworld as he was the first person ever cursed. "We need you to kill them as soon as possible."

"I know," I say. "There are only a few left."

"A few," my Dad repeats. "A few could mean many different numbers. You need to be focusing, Adonis. Shall we send Azriel there, too?"

I quickly reply, "No."

His head tilts in the firey room. I say, "I don't need Azriel. I can do it myself."

His dark eyes keep looking at me. 

"Azriel is stronger than you, Adonis," he says. "He could be beneficial."

I nearly rolled my eyes. Everybody always says that. My mom suddenly speaks up and says, "If you don't want Azriel's help, maybe Selena can."

"How?" I ask, my eyebrows lowering.

"Well, Adonis," she says. "If you two married, you'd both grow stronger."

When demons marry, they become stronger. The offer doesn't even tempt me. I continue staring at my mom with a blank expression.

"I reject her," I say.

This seems to annoy both of them as they exchange glances. My mother stands up and asks angrily, "Why, Adonis, why are you so stubborn? You know that it's better for your people!"

I look at her. At her standing up and looking down at me. I question, "Are you challenging me?"

My mom looks shocked. She asks, "You would seriously duel your own mother, Adonis?"

"I would."

She scoffs. My father sits, looking angry. I knew something would happen soon if I did not leave. I was tired of them underestimating me. Telling me how weak I am. As I turn and walk away, I smirk to myself.

I know they are relying on me. My people need me to free them. I need to do what's right. I spent my entire upbringing dueling my father to prepare to kill the angels. 

I will do what I must.

𓆩♡𓆪

V A L E R I A

Standing outside of the club, I felt a bit worried. Supernatural beings that live out in the world have no rules, they follow nothing besides their own wants, I know we need to be ready to spell our way out of a situation at any moment. 

The person outside of the club grabs onto all of our wrists before we can enter. I believed them to maybe be a medium, sensing that we were not human.

As I stepped inside, I realized just how pathetic our school dance was compared to this. The bar was filled with people, strobe lights flashing, music playing, fairies walking around asking if anybody wanted a drink.

"Have you been here before?" I asked them. They both nodded. They grabbed my hand and pulled me over to the bar.

They ordered shots. Usually, I don't drink, but as I looked around, I figured what the hell?

I swallow the two shots in front of me. I make a face of disgust as I am unprepared for the taste. We pushed through the many people to stand on the glowing dance floor, and I followed their lead in dancing.