15

A D O N I S

I do what is wrong for the right reasons. As I approach the room of a man I suspect, the Latin words roll off my tongue as I move my hand in front of my face, turning it to darkness.

At 4 in the morning in this supernatural academy, I will kill yet another angel. My people, they are dying down there, their skin burning away until they are nothing more than a corpse. 

I must save them. To be King is to be heroic. 

People lock their doors at night now. But as I touch the doorknob and whisper under my breath, it opens for me.

I see the angel, in his bed, his back facing me. I shut the door behind me. 

My steps are slow. Quite. Death is close to him.

As I reach them, I go to touch them, but the second my fingers skim them, they shoot awake. They shout a spell, pushing me back into the wall before their wings rip their shirt and they shoot out the window, shattering the glass.

I roll my eyes. I push myself up, watching them fly away in the dark sky as I bring my wings out. I fly out, chasing them, watching their white wings flap as they fly over the forest.

Demons. We're stronger and faster. My wings are catching me up to them quickly. They look over their shoulder, terrified as they fly, terrified as I get closer and closer with each passing second. Once they realize there is no outrunning me, they try to do a spell, I move out of the way as I smirk to myself.

I mutter under my breath, it hits them, and their wings stop moving as they fall down into the forest. I watch from above for a moment before going down to where they landed.

On their back with broken wings, their face is twisted in pain. My designer shoes hit the floor, I take slow steps toward them as they look up at me while groaning in pain.

"Please," he begs. "Please, there's only one left after me, we're all going to die."

I stand over them. Although they cannot see my face, I smile. I did not know how many there were exactly, but now I have my answer.

"With Heaven destroyed, I wonder where your soul will go," I say as I kneel. "Oh, that's right. I'll take it."

"Please - no!" he shouts as I put my hand over his heart and start absorbing his soul.

While draining it from him, I say, "Don't worry. I'll do a prayer for you."

"Heavenly Father, forgive him for his sins, as by dying you unlock the gates for those who believe in you," I say the prayer over the sound of his screams. "Do not let our brother be parted from you, but for your glorious power, give him light." 

His screams stop, my prayer ends, his soul is mine, his body empty. 

I stand up. It's dark and foggy. I look at the school in the distance, and nearly smile while I do.

There's only one left.

𓆩♡𓆪

Whoever the last angel is, I must give it to them, they are the smartest.

There's nobody else that I suspect. As I walk down the hallway, I look at everybody, trying to figure it out, but there are no clues. 

I see Valeria. She holds her books to her chest. She wears a skirt, I watch her tanned legs move as her white shoes hit the floor.

As she passes me, she says teasingly, "Going to die, hopefully?"

"If it means I never have to see you, again, then yes," I match her sarcasm. She laughs as we pass each other.