33

200 years ago.

A gulp of air, that's an understatement of what I take. I inhale all the air I possibly can as I wake up, as my eyes open under the stars. I quickly become confused - how am I alive? I look down at my stomach. The knife is still there. I grab it and I clench my teeth as I pull it out. 

How I was alive, how the poison didn't kill me, I didn't know. But as I look at the house in front of me and hold the knife in my hand, that's not what I focus on.

I push myself up, it hurts, the wound is still open as the blood soaks my shirt. I was going to find him and kill him for betraying me. I slam the side of my body into the door, it breaks, I stumble around as I become dizzy for a moment.

I searched room after room, looking for him, looking for my husband, I'd get a divorce by killing him.

"Fuck," I curse as I realize he is no longer in the house. Returning to Heaven was not an option, after killing The Lord, I was no longer one of them.

I decided to search, I'd search the entire world to find him until he was dead. I walk through a dark forest, I try to bring my wings out but for some reason, they don't. I continue my search - my hunt - to kill the man I loved. 

"Luella," I hear a whisper, it's so faint that I don't stop walking because I decided it was just the wind. But then I hear it again, and it's louder this time. "Luella."

I stop walking. I look all around me. Into the darkness, I call out, "Whose there?"

"Luella," I hear whispered again. My eyes land on where it came from. A cave.

Hesitantly, I walk over to it. As I stand at the top of a staircase, I hear the woman whispering from down there, "Come down here."

My grip on the knife tightens and I bet even the crickets on the ground found my decision to walk down there stupid. But I do. I step down the stone stairs, it's dark and cold. As I reach the bottom I cannot see anybody despite the candles lit in the corner. 

"Hello?" I say into the darkness.

"Love, isn't it a cruel thing?" a woman in the darkness says. I go to step into it to see her but her tone turns harsh. "Do not do that. Or else I won't help you."

My eyebrows lower as I question, "Help me?"

"You're different now, Luella," she says. "You're going to need my help."

"Different?" I repeat. I didn't understand.

She's silent for a moment before saying, "Look in the mirror."

Mirror? I look around, confused, until I find the shiny mirror against the wall. My jaw drops. My eyes widen. I drop the knife to the floor as I don't recognize myself and walk closer to it, watching my reflection as I touched my face. My eyes were no longer green, they were fully white. My hair was no longer dark brown, but it was pure black.

"What happened to me?" I almost cry. Tears form in my white eyes. 

"Killing The Lord has consequences," the woman says. "This is your consequence. You are no longer an angel. You're a mimic."

"A mimic?" I repeat as I look at myself and touch my black hair as if that would turn it brown again.

"A mimic is a form of ghost," she tells me. "In killing The Lord, you have killed yourself."

This couldn't be true. I couldn't be a ghost. I look away from my reflection. 

"H-how do I become alive again?" I ask. I did not want to live this way.