5

V A L E R I A

I sit in class, moving my hand around as I spin my pencil, waiting for the bell to ring indicating class has started. 

Cristella and another witch named Aaron sat between me. Cristella had asked me a question, but I didn't register it as I watched Adonis walk into the classroom. Black t-shirt that shows his muscular arms and tattoos, a face without emotion, and black wavy hair. Before I could even begin to think about last night, my eyes moved to the blonde who walked with him.

Long straight hair, red lipstick, smiling up at him. Cristella nudged me and said, "Valeria? Did you hear me?"

"Who's that girl?" I asked Cristella. "I haven't seen her before."

Cristella almost laughed when she looked at the girl. She told me, "That's Stella. Huge vampire bitch."

She whispered the last part. But as Stella glanced over at Cristella, smiling and flashing her sharp canines, I figured she heard her. I say, "I thought you told me Adonis Priest didn't have any friends."

"Friends?" she says. "Yea. He doesn't have friends. Only vamp girls that wanna sleep with him, and vamp guys that are afraid of him."

"He's a playboy, basically like me," Aaron says with sarcasm lacing his tone. I give him an unamused look. "Valeria Brookes do not give me that look."

"And what look would that be?"

I can see him thinking of a sarcastic response. He says, "Like you want some of this. Actually, keep doing it."

I rolled my eyes. The teacher spoke after the bell rang, "Okay, class. I want to continue what we had done last week. Partner up with who you were with last week and head outside."

I go to stand up. But Aaron stops me. He says, "Hey, I wasn't here last week. Wanna partner up?"

"Sure," I say. It was better than being with Adonis.

Right as I thought his name, he appeared, towering over Aaron as he looked down at him blankly. Aaron looked up at him with a grin and said, "It's alright, Priest, I'll be her partner today."

But Adonis doesn't move. Nor does he say anything. He just keeps staring at Aaron. 

"Aaron, why don't you partner up with them?" I suggested, pointing to somebody who was looking around for a partner. The blank look on Adonis' face as he remained in place told me he wasn't going anywhere, and I didn't want Adonis to hurt Aaron. He was both taller and stronger.

"Alright," Aaron says as he stands up. Adonis' eyes follow him as he stands, all the way until he approaches the girl. 

I say, "Are you picking me again so that you can win and fuel your ego?"

His dark eyes look back at me. 

"Maybe I'm doing you a favor," his deep voice says. "I'm the best person to train with."

"You're Adonis Priest," I say as I stand. "You don't do favors."

I walk out to the courtyard. The teacher tells us that we're working on defense again. Angels are strong, but so are vampires. I can't use my full strength. But I'm not sure if it could overpower him anyway.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Stella shooting me daggers.

"Your friend looks at me like she wants me dead," I say. Adonis glances at her. 

"She's fine," is all he says. "She won't do anything."

"If she's jealous, tell her there's no reason to be," I say. "I'd rather be in Hell right now."