16: Solo

a/n: don't forget to comment and happy readings!!!

So much had changed ever since (y/n) arrived in the demon slayer universe. Now that ubuyashiki was cured of his curse/disease, he was now determined to practice the way of the sword so he can aid the slayers and be of use to defeat kibutsuji. Although the hashira were glad of his recovery, they did not hesitate to show their concern for the master and tried to convince him to stay in the household where it's safe and let them deal with the demons. Their love and care for the man whom brought them their purpose was clearly evident.

As for (y/n), she was now able to wield a sword with no problems.

"a mission?....by myself?" The foreign girl asks curiously, prompting oyakata to nod with a soft smile. He looks off to the side before replying to her.

"you are very capable, (y/n). I trust you to accomplish this on your own as you were always doing before you met me." He simply says, patting her head, "i have no doubts about your abilities." His trust in her was exponential. She surmises it's because she has survived so far until coming to HQ's without a nichirin blade and because of her powers.

The thought made her flush as she embarrassedly coughs into her fist, glancing at the master, "uh..thank you!" He nods before telling her the details of the mission before taking his leave to continue training with his sword. He had assigned one of his crows to accompany her.

As (y/n) was headed to leave, she was stopped by sanemi, who stood in her path. She honestly did not expect the man to come and see her off. The other hashira were on their own individual missions to ay demons. The atmosphere was awkward as neither knew what to say until the spikey-haired male spoke up, "mission?" She nods, making him click his tongue, "with just you? I don't feel hopeful." He snidely says.

(y/n) rolls her eyes, unfazed by his unhinged behavior, "is that all you came to say to me?" No response, "thanks so much for your...concern, but i am capable of handling a demon on my own." She says with confidence.

"tch," he glances at the wooden box she was carrying, "how do you know he won't betray you? He's a demon." He scowls.

(y/n) hums, "i will always trust rui. We are family now and we look out for each other." She sasses.

"..heh, try not to die then, you idiot." sanemi grumbles out, walking past her without even a sliver of emotion on his face, making (y/n) sigh exasperatedly as she continues on her way. Apparently, there were people missing from a village and coincidentally there was a small mountain range near the area. Her job was to find the demon and slay it. The journey took at least a day and half's worth traveling so by the time she arrived, she was tired. It was almost sundown too which meant no rest. She had interrogated the people and found out that people whom went to the mountains never came back.

As night quickly approached, the villagers were in a state of fear as they quickly close shop and hurried back into their homes. She was now alone in the open. Her eyes focused on the mountain area and she decided she should start off there. She found a path carved in between trees and trekked her way through. She soon came to a clearing with some grass and in front of her was a much bigger mountain ledge. So she was at the base.

(y/n) paused, stilling in her tracks when the forest became quiet. Too eerily quiet. Sensing wind movement behind her, she backflips away, dodging an electric attack headed her way. She gasps, snapping her head to see four hot melanin-looking demons staring back at her. Upper moon four!?

Her box fell off her back and tumbling out was rui. She quickly scrambled to him, holding his form protectively as the little spider demon stares wide eyed at the upper moon. Sure he used to be a twelve kizuki, but he was nowhere as strong as the upper ranks.