Chapter 59- back to business

After hours of waiting, Clint and Morgan had finally watched Natasha and steve leave their room, giving them the perfect chance to sneak it and look for anything that could help them work out what was going on.
As they crept through the room, Clint stubbed his toe on the side of a cabinet and started hopping
"Shit!" He exclaimed, his hand grabbing his foot in agony.
Morgan tried to cover her laugh, she found it rather amusing that a ex assassin had trouble creeping around.
"Language" she smirked raising her eyebrow at the man.
Clint just rolled his eyes.
She would be lying if she said she knew what they were looking for, because she didn't.
All she knew was they were arguing about something, and whatever it was, it was serious.
They snook around the apartment for a while and didn't find anything that was of interest, that was until they accidentally stumbled across something.
Morgan had been looking through Natasha's bed side table draw and at first glance all she could see was a gun, some sort of medication and credit cards.
However when she started to rumage through, that's when she found something.

"Clint over here" she signaled to the man who was sat eating the remainders of the pop tarts that they had in their fridge.
Clint strolled over and took the paper from Morgan.
"Oh shit..this isn't good" he remarked before scrumping the paper up and putting it in his pocket.
"I don't follow, what's not good?" Morgan asked following Clint through the apartment as he aimed for the front door.
Clint stopped at Morgans question and turned to her pulling the paper back out of his pocket and pointing at it.
"That, that's the soul stone, it looks like Tasha is researching it but that's not thee stone mission she's on"
Morgan furrowed her eyebrows, "so just tell her and she can research the right one"
The girl was genuinely confused.
"Well-" Clint started "we could I guess"
He exited the room.
He had a feeling he knew what the others were arguing about, and even though the whole reason him and Morgan were snooping was to find out why.
He now understood why himself.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Clint walked into the living room where Steve Nat tony and rhodey were sat.
He smacked the paper Down onto the table and looked at the four.
"So, anybody want to tell me what's going on here?"
Natasha's eyes widened and Steve just looked at his wife.
"I thought this was Yelena and Morgan's mission" he states matter of factly.
"It was" tony deadpanned.
"What do you mean?" Clint asked.
"I mean red here wants to go with Morgan instead, Yelena Can gets nats stone"
Clint looked at Steve who shrugged.
"I personally don't agree, the soul stone is the only one we don't know much about and your sending my wife there"
Tony just looked at Steve who looked away from him.
"Guys get over yourselfs, I'm a grown woman I'll do what I want" Natasha growled at the men.
"I still don't like it" Steve muttered.
Natasha started rubbing his arm "I'm fine Steve"
"Well has anyone told Yelena that she isn't on Morgan's mission anymore?" Clint asked perplexed.
"Yeah I've let her know" tony replied getting up and walking towards the kitchen island.
"This whole thing seems off to me" rhodey spoke up out of nowhere.
Steve looked confused"What do you mean?"
Rhodey sighed and shook his head.
"I mean do you guys really think this is going to work?"
The man's doubt did suprise them but they all would be lying if they said they didn't have doubts.
"I think we need to atleast try" nat whispered back.

Morgan entered the room and went over to tony, "hey guys, Clint did you tell nat she had been researching the wrong stone?"
Clint looked at nat and shook his head.
"No, no she was actually researching the right one, she's going with you instead of Yelena"
Morgan looked at nat who nodded "I just think it's not wise sending you and Yelena on a mission, plus you remember the conversation I had with you yesterday"
To be fair it did make sense, Morgan had to agree with her.
"Okay, when do we go?"
Everyone looked to tony who avoided eye contact.
"Tommorow" he spoke into his coffee.
"Alright" Steve said getting up to get James from their room.

Nat watched Steve walk away and sighed, something was on her mind but Morgan couldn't tell what, and she knew better than to ask her.
"What's wrong Tasha?" Clint asked sitting next to her, he had eat Morgan to it.
"Nothing" she smiled at him getting up herself.
"I'm just going to go and see Steve and James, later guys"
Clint looked over to Morgan who shrugged as an indication she didn't know either.
"What's going on here because I feel like I'm missing something" tony inquired raisng an eyebrow.Morgan patted his shoulder.
"I don't know to be honest"
--------------------------------------------------------------
Natasha walked into her and steve's room and leaned against the doorframe as she watched Steve play with James.
"Hey boys, hope you don't mind me joining" she smirked sitting down on the floor with them.
The one year old babbles and reaches out for Nat to which she picks him up and hugs him.
Steve smiled at the scene, he loved nothing more than his family together.
"How you feeling" Steve asked softly as he put a hand on her leg.
"I'm fine" she lied smiling at him and bouncing James up and down.
"Tasha.." Steve started "I know you well enough to know that's not true"
Her smiled faltered and she held James still in her arms kissing his head.
She then looked up at Steve "what if things go wrong Tommorow, I don't know what I'm getting myself into but I'm doing it for morgans sake" she spoke quickly and the anxiety in her voice was evident.
Steve was concerned at her worry, Natasha never showed any signs of anxiety or worry before a mission, she was the most composed out of everyone.
Her concern was valid, what if something went wrong?
"I'm sure it will go smoothly" Steve remarked playing with james's hand.
At this point he was trying to make himself feel better to.
"I can't loose this Steve" Natasha's eyes started to well up and tears started to slide down her face.
"I can't loose this either" Steve pulled Natasha into a tight embrace leaving James to crawl on the carpet.
The boy watched his parents hug and started to wimper at the loss of attention from him.
"Mama" he wined holding his hands out.
Natasha and Steve pulled apart looking at eachother.
James had never spoken before, and him saying nats name she was upset, kind of added to he significance.
Steve smiled at nat who smiled back, she the picked James up and stood up, "yeah Jamie I'm right here baby" she cooed stroking the wisps of hair on his head.
Steve stood up and walked over to her faking to be hurt "I see how it is James, you have favourites" he joked.
Natasha elbowed Steve playfully and laughed at his anticts.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Later in the day, Morgan had found herself going out to the park with Yelena.
The two were strolling through Central park, laughing and joking trying to take their minds off things.
"So the big days Tommorow" Yelena said taking another sip of her drink.
"Yeah I guess it is" Morgan replied looking around at all the unknowing people around her.
"Yelena can I ask you something?" Yelena turned to look at the girl and smiled.
"Anything" she replied.
"Why do you really think Natasha wanted to swap with you?" Yelena paused and thought for a moment.
"I don't know, maybe she just wants to keep you safe"
Morgan raised an eyebrow "what and you can't?" Yelena sighed.
"That's not what I'm saying and you know that"
"Then what are you saying?"
The older girl sat down on the bench nearby and Morgan sat next to her.
"I'm saying that I think..maybe infact no forget it"
She ushered the thought away leaving Morgan confused.
"No tell me" she begged whining at Yelena.
"No it's a silly thought anyways"
Before the pair could discuss any further, the paperazzi showed up snapping pictures of Morgan for their new reports and magazines.
She rolled her eyes and pulled Yelena up heading back to the compound.
"Miss stark how are the Avengers?"
"Morgan hows life without your mom?"
"Are you guys going to bring everyone back"
The questions rolled in and the flashes were enough to blind a person.
They walked quicker and quicker until they reached the compound and threw Themselfs on the sofa.
"Everything okay?" Tony asked the girls who looked exhausted.
"The press just ambushed us" Morgan puther hand on her head and screwed the her eyes up trying to soothe the pain from the flashes.
Tony's face softened, "I'm sorry about that"
"Why are you sorry it's not your fault?" Morgan mutters sitting up.
"Because your my daughter that's the only reason they are after you" he looked hurt in a way.
"Dad I wouldn't trade it for the world" she hugged tony and reassured him that she was fine.
"Well I hate to do this but, Steve said he wanted everyone in the training room at 2 soo" Yelena stood up and smirked at Morgan.
"Ugh you can't be serious" Morgan whined into Tony's shoulder.
"To be fair M we have got a big day tomorrow"
"I guess your right"
--------------------------------------------------------------
Author's note: this one's shorter but I had to speed write because I was behind in my schedule💀
Anyways hope you enjoyed :)