Chapter 83

This year is going by fast and i'm surprised it's already February.

But things aren't joyful. Far from joyful.

Everyday, more and more missing people are in the paper. Students are being taken out of school for safety and the pictures on the front page are always of the 'Dark Mark' It's a skull and a snake.

It's his mark. Voldemort.

Muggles, wizards and squibs are being killed left, right and centre.

The boys and i try to keep the mood light when we're around the younger years, but even they know something isn't right.

In five months we'll be out in that dark world, no longer being able to stay in the safety of Hogwarts.

But by far the worst day of all, was when James got the news.

Its was a normal day, lessons and small talk in between.

We were all in Charms when there was a knock on the door, and we all swiveled our heads to look and see Dumbledore in the door way.

"May i borrow Mr Potter for a minute?"

"Of course."

James stands up, his legs clearly trembling.

He doesn't come back to that lesson.

Or any for the rest of the day.

The others are worried about him, but i'm keeping an eye on him through his mind.

I know i shouldn't but i need to know he's safe.

He's at the top of the astronomy tower leaning over the railing.

Should i talk to him? In his head in case he doesn't want company?

"James?"

"Summer?"

"Are you okay?"

"No."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Only with you, no one else."

"Okay i'll escape."

I make up an excuse saying i'm going to the toilet, then apperate to the tower.

"James?"

"Over here."

he's in the same spot as before, his eyes are red and puffy.

He passes me a letter and read it.

Dear James,

baby i never thought i'd have to write this, your father has passed.

He was sick for a long time and we never told you because we believed he'd get better.

I'm so sorry darling, his funeral is next week and i'd like for you and your friends to attend.

I'll see you soon, my boy.

Mum xx

"Oh James... I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, but will you go?"

"Of course!"

"And do you think the others?"

"They will too."

He's silent for a while, and i just rub my hand up his back as he starts to cry.

I hate to see him like this.

"James, do you need anything?I can get you something if you like?"

"No, i just- can i just hug you and cry for a bit?"

"Of course."

We sit on the steps and i hug him as he cries. I resume my back rubbing and whisper words of comfort in his ear.

"I feel like such a baby."

"It's okay to cry about it James, it would be inhuman if you didn't."

"I guess."

Silence falls as his sobs subside, but he doesn't move away so i stay where i am.

There are footsteps and i watch the others come up the stairs.

I shake my head slightly hoping they understand not to ask questions.

They all gather round and join the hug, not a word coming from any of them.

James calms down a bit after that, and we all go to his common room that he shares with Lily.

They all sit on the sofas but i stray over to the window that over looks the lake.

The sky is dark, and i can only feel that this is only the beginning of a dark time.

The next few month pass by quickly and by the end of seventh year, both of Remus's parents are gone and Lily's are in danger.

I hate it, seeing the people who i used to laugh with being so miserable.

All the muggleborns are in danger and while James is protecting Lily, Charlie refuses to be looked after.

It's lead to a lot of fights between us and that makes me even more sad.

I wish he'd see that we're only trying to help.

At the moment he's sat with Xenophilius at the Ravenclaw table.

I'm watching him closely and he looks so tired. He's not sleeping well, that much i know.

He's worried about his siblings, and his mom.

The leaving ceremony is tomorrow, and the next day it's goodbye Hogwarts

Lily was picked to do a speech, and say it in front of all the seventh years.

I'm not sure how far she's got with it

Everyone's with their group.

Charlie and Xeno, James and Lily, Remus,Peter and Sirius.

Me

I'm keeping away. They've known each other longer than I've known them.

And Charlie and Xen are just made or each other.

I get up and walk out the hall, unnoticed.

The skies are still dark, everyday regardless of the month.

It's raining, and i think it's mostly my doing.

Walking to the quidditch pitch, i lie down in the middle not caring about getting wet.

I watch the sky before closing my eyes and just listening to the sounds of nature.

That night when i return, i find Lily asleep on her old bed with scraps of paper flung around her.

Looking at one of them, i see her speech wrote a few times before being scribbled out.

The only one that isn't messed up is the one in her lap, and she must have fallen asleep before finishing.

I should just leave it, but i sit at the table and finish it for her.

It takes less than three hours, and after putting it in her robe pocket and cleaning up i leave.

I don't feel tired, so i wonder to the great hall.

It's not set up yet, so i do the honors myself.

The tables are gone and in it's place, lots of benches.

The ceremony will start with Albus talking before one by one, we all go up and get our certificate or something. Then Lily will make her speech and we'll leave.

Everyone will be sat in alphabetical order.

I stand at the front of the hall, looking at all the chairs that in a few hours, will be filled with familiar faces.

The moon shines through the window and i sit basking in it.

The last peaceful moment at Hogwarts i'll get.