Chapter Fifty-Two Anna

Chapter Fifty-Two
Anna

     When Anna returned home, she wanted to go to her mother's room to get some of the cake she had bought today and start the interrogation for the third time, but she heard Mr. Collins's voice from inside the room, so she quietly and silently took her hand off the handle so that no one would notice her presence.
From Josh Collins's voice that was shaking, it was clear that he was upset and angry; anyway, Mr. Collins said, "I can't believe he looked me in the eye today after years and told me it was his work. He was laughing and saying that. Crazy fool."
   "Calm down, anyway, he's your brother."
   Anna whispered softly, "Brother!"
   Mr. Collins shouted angrily and said, "He's my half-brother."
   Anna said to herself, "I didn't even know my father had a half-brother!"
   Mrs. O'Brian said, "I know it's very hard for you, it's hard for me too. I'm very angry. He's very hateful."
   "I've taken care of him for all these years; I hired specialists for his comfort, but I didn't know it was his work. My heart ached for him; for someone who doesn't deserve to live at all."
   "What do you want to do with him now?"
   "Enough caring for a madman; he has to die."
   Anna was frozen behind the door; she felt fear and surprise; an indescribable feeling. Anna said to herself, "Is it possible that my father would kill his half-brother for whatever reason?!"
   Mr. Collins said, "Don't look at me like that, Christian; I don't want to change my mind."
   "But I don't want to stop you at all; I don't want to disagree with you."
   Anna was really fed up; she said to herself, "I can't believe it! Mom, I can't believe it; why don't you stop Mr. Collins."
     When Mr. Collins opened the door to leave the room, Anna was not behind the door.
Anna had gone to do something while her mind was completely occupied with the conversation between Christian and Josh.
Anyway, Anna came back with the cake and knocked on the door and then opened it halfway and said, "Mom."
   Mrs. Christian O'Brian was lying on the bed in a semi-upright position and leaning on a pillow; she had glasses on her eyes and was reading; she took off her glasses and said, "Come in, Anna." Then she closed the book and sat on the bed and said, "Come sit next to me."
   Anna did the same and silently lowered her head and looked at her fingers; Anna didn't know what to say, she had chosen silence.
   Mrs. O'Brian put her hand under Anna's chin to turn her face towards herself and while staring into her eyes, she said, "Your eyes are scared; Anna, what are you afraid of?"
   Anna said softly, "I don't know what to say."
   "Did you hear our conversation?"
   Anna felt her face turn red and remained silent.
   "So you heard it."
Silence. Silence was the best way.
   Christian O'Brian said, "Why are you silent? You thought about this issue in your mind and came to the conclusion that we have become strange and scary people." Then she said, "Did you buy chocolate cake?" She ate some of it.
   Anna said, "So tell me why dad wants to kill his half-brother? Why didn't you stop him, mom?"
   "Because he's not a good person; he might hurt someone who matters to us."
   "Really! Who can he hurt?"
   "This story has nothing to do with you; so please don't be curious."
   "I can't believe it. You're hiding something from me again?"
   "Please listen to me, I said that this matter has nothing to do with you and it really doesn't."
   "So who does it have to do with?"
   "It has to do with Peter; so you shouldn't tell him what you heard, understand? You shouldn't tell him anything about this man or else his life will fall apart again."
   Anna said sadly, "Okay mom." And she was ashamed.
   Christian said, "When you go on a trip, you'll understand everything that's a question for you about your past; I promised you." Then she got up to leave.
  Anna followed her and said, "I know. I'm sorry mom." She wanted to change the subject of the conversation but didn't know what to say until she saw the wedding ring on her mother's hand and said in surprise, "Mom, did you put your ring back on?"
Christian opened the refrigerator and said, "Yeah, surprised; we finally made up." She paused and said again, "I have to buy it myself." She closed the refrigerator.
   "Mom, I'm very happy but it was a very strange fight; anyway, I'm glad you made up with dad."
   "It was strange for a long time we called each other by family name; we acted formally with each other, as if we were really strangers."
   Anna said to herself, "It's not just them who have changed, mom doesn't wear black clothes anymore and there's no sign of that special and scary sadness in her eyes. This is very pleasing."
   "Anna, I have good news for you."
Anna didn't show any reaction to her mother's words because her mind was attacked by good and bad thoughts.
   "Anna, are you listening? I have good news for you."
   "Mom, I'm sorry, I was thinking. What did you say?"
   "You might get married when you go on a trip to Alaska."
   "But it might not be a good time for that."
   "Really! On the contrary. Why are you looking at the issue so pessimistically? Now that you're going to achieve your goal, are you afraid of facing it? Don't be afraid, go ahead. Nothing terrible is going to happen."
   Anna hugged her mother and said, "I'm calm now; I was very scared."