43 - Old friend

Rin silently looked at Geto, bringing her fingers together in an inverted triangle, before uttering something that sent chills down their spine.

"Domain Expansion, Kagura no Mai."

Immediately, the place was engulfed into an infinite nothingness. Wherever Yuta and Geto tried to see around them, they were only met with a dull grey of nothingness. The ground they were standing on seemed to be stretching for as far as the eyes could meet, and the sky was nothing that they have seen, filled with mist under the dull grey sky.

This was the same place Rin was sent to when she died in the real world, where she were to choose between mortality and immortality.

Yuta froze, as he tried to make sense of what just happened as he looked around.

' Could it be...the rumour of her domain expansion because a space where she can control time and space and be able to manipulate everything else in it...? ' He thought to himself. ' How could someone be able to hide their powers and techniques for that long as if this huge Cursed Energy didn't exist?!

Geto's eyebrow twitched everytime he thought he heard or sensed something, but his vision was limited and obstructed in the domain, because that's how she controlled it.

He could hear the piercing sounds around him that cut into the air, but his eyes couldn't keep up to catch up with her.

"Suguru-kun.." He could hear her call his name from multiple locations at the same time, giving a perfect illusion as if his mind was playing games with him.

"Stop...." Geto frowned, but the voices kept calling him.

"I SAID STOP!" He raised his voice angrily before lashing out an evil curse around him to attack the voice wherever it came from, only to see it pierced by a golden naginata.

As he got the clearer vision of what happened, he can see that Rin killed the curse by piercing it's heart with a cursed weapon, before the curse dispersed.

Yuta, who was able to catch a glimpse, widened his eyes.

' I am dreaming....did I just see what I think it was?

~~~

(Flashback)

While the voices were trying to impale and distract Geto, Yuta saw how Geto got annoyed and eventually lashed out a curse at Rin.

He then held his katana and ran towards Geto in an attempt to protect Rin in case she was to be hit, but stopped in track as he stared at something, that surprised him and left him in awe at the same time.

He watched as Rin lifts her head to pull out a golden naginata right from her inner chest, that somehow suddenly appeared, before rushing over towards the curse to exorcise it.

~~~

' It was as if, she predicted it, as if she predicted that was gonna happen!! How and why else would she move before he even did anything?! ' He thought.

Yuta now looks at Rin, who was sternly staring at Geto while he frowned at her.

"You leave me no choice, Rin..." Geto grinned maliciously, but Rin quickly points her weapon at him, close to his throat.

"Suguru-kun..." Her voice was still stern, which was a complete contrast to her usual, playful tone.

With a hard stare, she held her weapon closer to his throat, as if threatening to stab him with it. "I didn't want to do this. But you're forcing me to." She frowned at him before giving him a light glare. "And I know, that Satoru will not- no... actually, he will never be able to find strength to go against you, because he considers you as his own best friend. But I...I will NOT think twice before ending your life, right here, right now, Suguru-kun."

Geto scoffed.

"You really changed, Rin-chan." He slowly stepped back, "If that's how it is, Rin-chan..." He extends his arms to his sides. "I guess I will have to go all out with you."

Before she knew it, multiple curses were lunging towards her and she fought back every single one of them, manipulating time and space around him to be able to weaken his senses, before being able to land a semi-fatal blow on the side his chest right below his shoulder, temporarily immobilizing him.

Geto spat blood and was brought kneeling to his knees as he took some time to recover.

Rin then casually turned around and walked away, looking at Yuta, who was still standing with his katana in his hands, and the domain around them slowly disappearing, bringing them back to the real world, at the same setting they were last at before they entered Rin's domain expansion.

"It's now upto you now, Yuta-kun." She smiled as she placed her hand on his shoulder as a form of assurance and support. "Go all out..."

She said and placed her hand on Yuta's chest,  nonverbally activating her healing technique on him to grant him continuous healing no matter how big his injuries may  be. 

"Don't be scared now, " She smiled before walking past him to shield the other three students as she stood in front of them while they still lay unconscious.

Yuta frowned in determination as he focused on Geto now, who had his hand over his injured body to try and apply pressure on the bleeding, while also panting softly.

"Lend me your strength, Rika-chan!" Yuta said before wearing his ring.

Rin stood by as she watched at the fight between Yuta and Geto as they went all out, the sound of clanking and clashing being the only evident sounds around them.

She slowly have turned back from her Ame-no-Uzume form as she continued to watch them, now in her normal look - her hair back and eyes, and other traits turning back to her natural appearance.

Yuta was able to fatally injure Geto, before sending him flying into the distance.

Yuta then attempted to follow him to make sure he finishes him for good, but Rin stops him by holding his wrist.

"That's enough, Yuta-kun.." Rin sighed before loosening her grip slightly. "It's over.."

Yuta looks at her, a little surprised. "Over..? But he didn't pass out or anything yet-"

"With the injuries he got, he won't be able to stay alive for long time..." She looks away before letting his wrist go, seeming a little sad.

"N-Nakamura-san..." He took a step toward her, but doesn't know how he could ask his mentor if she was okay or not, or anything at all at the moment.

Rin raised her hand as if to dismiss him. "I'm fine... don't worry..." She shook her head and said calmly.

"I know it must be painful to go against your friend- umm... I-I mean, your old friend... like that, or even see him injured." He says, but was awkwardly talking to her about it. "I know how it feels when someone hurts my friends, so I'm sure it's the same for you too."

Rin smiled with a sigh before softly ruffling hair hair, making him flustered from the sudden gesture.

"Help me get these kids to the infirmary, Yuta-kun..." She looks at the bunch behind her, trying to change the topic.

Yuta looks behind her to see his unconscious friends and nodded, sensing that she was obviously changing the topic, before approaching his friends and carrying two of them before heading downstairs.

Rin looks silently at the sky before smiling sadly to herself.

' Suguru-kun, I'm sorry... maybe in another life, we could continue being friends, and continue having gyoza together like we used to... I'm sorry that things turned out the way it did... Until we meet again, Suguru Geto-kun.. '