𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

┏━━━━⋆。‧˚ʚ ❀ ɞ˚‧。⋆━━━━┓

MOTHER OF MINE

"YOU GUYS GOT MARRIED WHILE I WAS, I DON'T KNOW, FIGHTING FOR MY NEWBORN SANITY?"

Billie Burbank had never been the kind of girl who prioritized her needs above the needs of others, and that was a severe understatement. She was a natural-born giver, and a compassionate, self-sacrificing one at that.

Yet, to hear that her supposed best friend had thrown herself a wedding, all while Billie had been acclimating to vampirism with her shitty ass memory in fucking Europe, had her eye twitching with newfound agitation. 

Now that wasn't fair at all.

It felt like a betrayal, almost. Was it anger, or was it sheer hurt that she was feeling? And though she knew the answer to the question she'd asked, she just wanted to hear them say it out loud.

Bella was quick to shake her head. "We were still looking for you when we... y'know." She couldn't even say the word. "We never stopped, Bill, I promise you that."

She couldn't even admit that while Billie was having quite literally the hardest time of her life, she and the others had held something as joyful as a wedding ceremony.

"Do you know who killed me?" was her next question, trying her best to ignore the way Jane seemed to step closer to her at that.

Bella winced. "It's complic—"

"Don't lie to me!" she yelled, voice raised in a way that was both unfamiliar to her and those around her. She stomped down the tremor that threatened to escape her, "you don't get to lie to me about this."

"She's dead," Edward said, not quite offering Billie the answer she wanted, though it was still an answer.

Jane, on her behalf, wasn't satisfied at all and let it show. "Tell me her name," she demanded, "I need to know the name of the person responsible for—"

"Oh–oh! Do the magic trick on me next!"

The two blondes wearing the Volturi necklaces both watched as a teenage boy wearing nothing but cargo shorts practically jumped right up to them. The anger fizzled from Billie instantly, her mind briefly taken off of the two vampires right in front of her.

The smell coming from him reminded Billie of soggy, stale clothing that had been left in the sun to stink up a room. Matter of fact, all the wolves around them radiated a similar smell the closer they got. This boy was one of those giant wolves, and a part of her felt like she should've known that already.

The pleading, yet optimistic look of his face was one that Billie certainly didn't have the heart to decline.

Fingertips to his forehead, metaphorically pinching her nose at the horrific wet dog smell, she shuddered when more memories invaded her brain. It was nothing like she'd encountered with Edward— no, she and this boy shared what looked to be millions upon millions of moments together. All moments of happiness, none of deceit.

The smile on her face was blinding when she resurfaced, the memories slotting themselves away in their rightful spots. "Embry!"

The pair met in the middle, arms wrapping around one another. Like two lost siblings, reunited amidst the chaos.

"Shit, I knew you'd remember!" the boy cheered, jostling Billie around in his hold. From over his shoulder, she could've laughed at the uncomfortable, utterly aghast look on Jane's face. "Your mom's gonna freak when I tell her I told you so."