Chapter 21

As of right now, Dylan and I are walking through the hallways with our hands gently intertwined. Tyler looks at me and smirks and I replied with a genuine smile. He smiled back and walked into homeroom. We walked after him and sat in our seats. Everyone stared at us again... I don't like attention... Like at all. Seeing everyone stare at me just makes me feel uncomfortable so I let go of his hand. He looked at me weird then realized that I hate attention. Especially when it's almost everyone in the hallways. Today went by pretty smoothly but I had a gut feeling that something bad happened. I got a text from my mom during gym saying, 'Cancel whatever plans you have for after school and come straight home. No Dylan.' I sighed.

"Dyl I can't hang out after school."

"Why work?"

"No my mom didn't say anything besides to come home and no Dylan. That's literally what she said." I responded.

"Awh okay." He said kind of disappointed. The school day passed and I obeyed my mom and went straight home. When I walked in she was sitting at the table crying.

"Mom? Mom what happened?"

"I-it's Brayden. He got into a car with a bunch of seniors that were drinking and got in a really bad car accident." My mom explained and my eyes immediately filled with tears.

"I-is he o-okay?" I managed to choke out.

"He um... He's in a coma as of right now... Not sure about his injuries besides the coma... But as of right now he's the only one that survived the accident." My mom told me and I started to cry hysterically. My brother. Brayden. Car accident. Coma. Were the words that stuck out to me. I just lost it. I love Brayden. Why do bad things happen to good people? I wonder if he was under pressure and those seniors forced him to get in the car. Knowing Brayden... He wouldn't drink. I don't want to talk to anyone. I hugged my mom one last time and went in my room and just cried. I cried for all the pain that has happened to me for the past month. Between Dylan and Brayden... I lost it. I went downstairs.

"Mom, I'm going for a walk."

"Okay... We're going to the hospital in about an hour."

"Okay." I said and attempted a smile but nothing would form on my face. As I was walking, I saw Tyler. I need comfort but I don't want to see anyone right now, I turn a corner hoping he wouldn't see me... But he did.

"Hey! Stephanie! Wait up! Woah... Are you okay?" He said softly.

"No."

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked and I shook my head and cried. My face was buried in his chest. "Shhh Stephanie..." Tyler said and rubbed my back in attempt to calm me. Then I heard another voice.

"Posey! What do you think you're doing?" It's Dylan.

"She was upset." He replied.

"Steph. You okay? What happened?"

"No and I just don't want to talk..." I said releasing from Tyler only to be pulled into Dylan. I cried.

"I'll talk to you later Stephanie." Tyler said then left. I nodded slightly and just cried into Dylan. After like 5 minutes.

"You sure you don't wanna talk? We can go to my house no one's home..." He suggested and I nodded. Dyl put his arm around me and we walked to his house. Once inside, he said, "Okay what happened?" I explained the whole story through tears but he understood everything that I said which was surprising since I was sobbing. Once I finished he engulfed me in a hug, kissed the top of my head, and rubbed my back.

"Dyl, I gotta go. My mom and I are going to the hospital to visit Braden." I said and he nodded.

"Okay. Bye." He said and pecked my lips then I left. I walked home and my mom was ready to leave. We walked to the car and she drove to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital. I hate hospitals. They're so depressing and full of... The feeling of... Well... Death. I cringed at the thought of death because if made me think of Brayden. What if he dies? I can't think like that. I just can't. Brayden is such an amazing person. We got to his hospital room and opened the door to reveal my sister, Kayla with tears in her eyes. My dad, no where to be seen.

"Dad's working." Kayla said sadly. I walked over to her and gave her a comforting hug and went over to Brayden's bed. I just stared at him. His head is stitched up, his left arm is in a cast, and his right leg is in a cast. A bandage is wrapped around his head and he has a nasal cannula to help his breathing. Tears filled my eyes from just looking at him.

"Do you know when he's gonna wake up?" I asked Kayla.

"No. They said it's unpredictable and that it could range from a few days to a few years." A small gasp left my lips. I cried even harder getting a hug from Kayla in the process. Eventually my dad showed up so my mom and I left. I walked upstairs, ignoring the rumbling sensation in my stomach, and laid down. My phone kept on vibrating and they were all from Dylan. I just don't want to talk. To anyone. No one understands the connection I have with Brayden. He's my best friend. Eventually, I cried myself to sleep.
••
A/n
Hi! Okay so this took a little twist. I felt like we needed something interesting to happen... But this is sad... It's honestly really upsetting... Sorry if I made you cry 😭🙈 but anyways thanks for reading!!
-Kelly