Chapter 23

Saturday morning. Woke up in tears and left the house in tears. None of this is getting better. Like at all. I'm just so worried about Brayden. Okay we're not blood related... But... I still love him. I'm closer to him than Kayla. My mom can't come today so I asked Dyl to come instead. Dyl picked me up in his car and it was mostly silent. "Steph. I worry about you." Dyl started. "All you do is cry and mope around. After the hospital can we do something? We haven't hung out in like years..." He whined.

"More like a day..." I mumbled.

"Please Steph?"

"Fine." I finally said. The rest of the ride to the hospital was silent. We got to the hospital and got out of the car. Dylan's hand immediately went into mine and our fingers intertwined. We got to Brayden's room and there he was. Laying lifeless on his bed. The only way you could tell he was alive is by the beeping of the heart monitor. Tear swelled up in my eyes and Dyl pulled me into a tight hug and I just cried into his chest.

"Shhh Steph. Relax. Everything's going to be okay."

"Yeah? How the hell do you know that? My brother is in a coma and he might die! How do you know that Dyl?" I snapped.

"Steph. That's the thing. Of course I don't know. But if what you said was true. He can fight through this." Dyl shot back. I just stood there. Not saying anything. "I'm sorry Steph. I really am."

"I don't want or need sympathy." I said bluntly.

"You need to go to school sooner or later." He said changing the subject and I just looked up to him. I leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his lips. He smiled. After about 20 minutes, Dyl and I decided to leave. "So... Wanna do something fun?"

"I don't know Dyl, I'm not in the mood to have fun or to be happy."

"Steph, all you do is worry. All you do is keep that one awful thought in your head. I want you to forget about that and live for a while. Please. I can't stand seeing you in the condition you're in." Dylan said with pleading eyes.

"Fine." I said giving in. I'm not really sure where we are going exactly... But it better be fun. I always have fun with Dylan... Whether we're just laying down on my bed or watching tv... I enjoy his presence. I realize where we are and it's a building that has both laser tag and go karting. I sigh heavily and get out of the car. Dylan's arm went around my waist. His grip was very tight but it didn't hurt. We had to sign up for laser tag to get an appointment. With go karting you just wait in line. There's a few people in front of us so we'll have to wait a few minutes. Dyl grabs my hands and tried to make me look at him. I refuse to look at him until he starts to kiss my jawline. "Dylan!" I said.

"Well then look at me." He said and I listened. I looked into those light brown eyes that always mesmerized me. "I understand you're upset just have a little fun pleaseeeee." He said dragging out the 'e' and did a puppy dog face in the process. I laughed slightly and shook my head.

"Okay I'll try." I said and he smiled because of his accomplishment. He bent down and kissed me. It's finally our turn. Now Dyl and I are really competitive people... Us together... Oh this is gonna be fun. I hope. I really can't get Brayden off of my mind. Dyl and I get in our separate karts. "Hey Dyl! I'm gonna kick your ass." I stated.

"You think so?" He asked.

"I know so."

"Oh you're on." Dyl said as the karts started as we took off. There's 3 rounds so whoever wins the most rounds win. There's teams... So whoever you're with is who you're going against. So the first round he won... Then the second round I won. So now it's the last round and Dyl and I are driving next to each other. He sped up a little to get ahead but then I sped up and got ahead of him. There was about 3 seconds till we reached the finish line and I beat Dyl. But then I realized he probably let me win.

"Dyl!" I whined.

"Yeah?"

"You let me win!!" I whined again.

"So?" He said smiling.

"Ugh!" I groaned. But then smiled because he was grinning at me. I walked over and hugged him. "I'm having fun." I simply stated.

"And you said you weren't in the mood to have fun." He said back to me. We released from the hug but his arm remained over my waist. We walked to laser tag and got our vests on. The doors opened signaling that the game began. We had 20 seconds to get in a hiding place. I ran to a corner and sat behind one of the stands. I saw Dyl run to one of them in front of me with his back towards me. He was looking around for me but didn't see me. Once the buzzer went off I immediately shot Dylan. He looked around confused and still didn't see me. I shot him again. "Seriously?!?!" He yelled.

"Seriously." I said. He turned around and smirked. I laughed and ran. Dyl tried shooting me but failed a few times. I quickly hid behind a giant cube and he lost me. I kept shooting people until my vest started beeping red. I turned around to see Dyl standing with his gun smirking. He blew away the invisible smoke which gave me enough time to shoot him and run. There was about 30 seconds left and Dyl and I just ended up finding each other. We just shot each other until the time was up. We took off our vests and his arm was around me and I was leaning into him. We were currently walking to a restaurant. "Thanks Dyl... For taking my mind off of things... I had fun."

"No problem. I had a great time too. We finally got to hang out! Ya know... Without any worries or anything." Dyl said and smiled. He bent down and kissed me. We got in his car and he drove me home. I walked in and greeted my mom then went upstairs and got into more comfortable clothes. I immediately got a text from Dylan.

[D-Dylan S-Stephanie]

D- Hey I'm bored
S- Me too
D- Come over?
S- Uggh I just laid down...
D- I'll come over?
S- Yes please omfg
D- Soooooo you had fun today?
S- Yes thank you again
D- Np I'll be over in 10
S- Okayyyy

Within 10 minutes Dyl came over and came into my room. We got really comfortable then had a small TV marathon. I was happy. I was comfortable. For once I wasn't worrying. About anything. Brayden wasn't on my mind, my parents weren't on my mind... It was only Dylan who was on my mind.
••
A/n
Hi! Dyl would be boyfriend goals... I'm sick and I hate it. Absolutely hate it. So I'm not in the best mood but I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Kinda a filler...? Idk. Thanks for reading!!
-Kelly