Chapter Forty Three

Chapter Forty Three

Lienna

I flinched as she touched my shoulder, more from painful flashbacks than from the actual wound in my shoulder. "Lienna, Odin wishes to see you."

"I do not wish to see him," I replied bitterly.

Frigga sighed. "I understand your position, dear, but I really believe this is for the best."

I scowled to myself. "I'm not doing this for Odin, I am doing this for you."

She brushed my hair back in to place gently. "Try not to lose your temper with him. Trust me, I will have my own words with him."

I nodded, disappointed yet understanding. My whole body ached with every step that I took on the way to the throne room; my mind screamed from exhaustion and all I could do was tell it to press on.

Jane was bedridden with her injuries from Ander, and Thor hadn't left her side since they recovered her. Frigga and I hadn't left each other's sides because of the nightmarish flashbacks and the constant fear that anyone could be dangerous. And Loki, oh Loki.

I had collapsed moments after Loki had, and then I woke up in the infirmary with the words "I love you" in my mouth. Immediately I had gone to look for Loki, and couldn't fathom why they forced me back, away from him. They swore he was alive, but I wasn't allowed to see him.

I learned why later when I forced them to let me see him.

The first thing I noticed was his blue skin, followed by tubes sticking into his arms and stomach. My eyes rested on his stomach; the red of his flesh was sickening to see yet I couldn't look away. The doctors were constantly checking his vitals, covering his wounds, and administering medicines. Before I forced myself to leave, I managed to catch a glimpse of his face between two busy doctors. The Jotun lines showed up beautifully, something that once terrified me was now art to me. Yet, he seemed more dead than alive, almost as if he might not ever wake up.

I shook the memories away as I reached the throne room. Odin was seated in his throne, speaking quietly with a guard. Once he saw me, he immediately dismissed the guard and requested I come closer to him.

"Now, Lienna, I have gathered you aren't pleased with my decisions-" he began, and simply hearing this infuriated me.

"I'm not pleased with your decisions? Your sons aren't pleased, your wife isn't pleased. I am positive if the people of Asgard knew of what you had done, there would be a complete revolution. Did you not realize then that your decisions could lead to the downfall of your reign as Allfather? For a man of your experience, I would hope you'd have thought it through a little better," I hissed.

"Now, Lienna, did you forget I was enchanted?" he asked, as if he had won the argument with the statement.

I frowned. "The Allfather let a small enchantment from a man who was little more than a dark magic novice wreck his entire family? The Allfather allowed a man he had previously broken off engagement arrangements with to kidnap his daughter in law?"

Odin sighed. "Yes, I understand my decisions were of poor judgment, all I am asking is for forgiveness. If you forgive me, we can let this mishap go and all can be well. I can discuss payments for you and Loki..."

"You honestly believe bribery will solve this? My husband almost died, and you ask for my forgiveness in exchange for a bribe. With all due respect, which right now, is very little, you will have to do so much more than just bribe me to get my forgiveness," I said, poison filling my words. "I used to regard you as a fair ruler, even after the incident with Sian, but now you have wronged all the ones closest to you. I believe this discussion is over."

He opened his mouth to say something, anger written into his tired face, but I had already left the room, fuming.

Instead of returning to Frigga, I stormed up to my old room. It hadn't been touched since I married Loki, and seemed the only place I could really find sanctuary at a time like this.

It was just as I remembered it to be, sweetly scented and clean, the bed neatly made and all the furniture in order out of habit from my slave days.

Memories flooded back; every single peaceful moment that ever happened rushed into my mind, bringing along with it a warm, soft feeling. I laid back on my bed, breathing in the scents left on the blanket from nights spent with Loki or simply by myself, finding comfort in sleep or my own thoughts.

I pressed my cheek against the bed, but instead of feeling soft fabric I felt cold metal. Sitting up, I closed my hand around the metal and found some folded paper as well.

It was a glittering emerald set into a thick, braided black band. I couldn't help but smile as I unfolded the paper that accompanied it.

To the love of my life, Lienna.

When you find this, we will have already been married for a time, and it will have been the happiest time of my life, I can promise you that.

When you find this, you will have ventured into your room seeking comfort, and I hope and pray it is not because I was the one who hurt you. I would never hurt you intentionally, and if I did hurt you, please accept this as my apology and the verbal one to follow.

If I did not hurt you, then I told you to trust me in my rage and you and I both know what followed. I will survive this, my dear. Wear this, and know it was made with my love.

I promise you, I will come back to you, I will finish this game. I love you.

Trust me, trust my rage.

Loki

I bit my lip, holding back tears that threatened to spill at any moment. I slipped the ring onto my index finger; the weight and the coolness of the metal was reassuring, like holding Loki's hand.

He was insane, but smart. And I was completely in love with him.

Just as I relaxed back into the bed, there was a knock at the door.

It was a guard. "Princess Lienna, it's your husband. They need you urgently."

××××××

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

HE'S NOT DEAD (as far as this chapter is concerned ;))

lots of Loki love,

katiethenovelist