Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Lienna

As I followed Loki back to the palace, a sinking feeling filled my stomach.

Why did I go along with it?

Something about him was just so... magnetizing. You couldn't keep your head straight around the mischievous God.

That put worry directly into my mind. Loki was a God. There were no limitations to what he might do.

And what about Thor? What are your feelings toward Thor?  Was he already in love with me after just one day.

Loki's arm grasped mine suddenly and tightly. I jolted to a stop, right on front of a deep ravine.

"That wouldn't be pleasant to end up in, Lienna. Perhaps you want to get your head out of the clouds?" Loki asked, smirking.

A wave of embarrassment passed from my head to my toes. "Thanks."

"It was no trouble. But tell me, my dear, what are you stewing about in that pretty head of yours?"

"Everything," I responded quickly.

He chuckled quietly. "We both know that's not true."

"Then what is true?"

He stopped. "What do you mean by that?"

"Loki, I've known you for two days and you've already tried everything. You've asked me about my feelings for Thor when I've known him for a day as well, and you insist on spending the whole day with me. Not to mention your confrontation and making me play along. You kissed me, for Odin's sake! So is that you just playing around? Are you even serious about this? I could have complete dishonor and shame brought to my fiancé's house and you don't even seem to obey the gravity you put behind this!"

Loki was quiet, not expecting that. His hand tightened around mine and suddenly, we were surrounded by light. Then we were standing in his room, or rather, he was standing. I was on the floor, trying to stand. Loki held out a hand that I reluctantly took. It was cold.

Suddenly I was up against the wall in a confrontational style again.

"Do you understand the gravity behind this? Do you even know what this little Choosing game means to me?" he hissed in my face. "Lienna, if I don't find a wife, I'll be banished."

"So I'm your plaything, doomed to marry you?" I spit.

"Oh, Lienna, that's not all. Odin specifically said in his stupid little rules that it had to be my true love!"

I nearly threw up. The kiss. Kisses never felt right.

Except that one.

"Don't tell me that you didn't feel it too, Lienna!" Loki had gone mad now, his fist digging into my chest as his eyes burned with rage.

"Sorry Loki, but you must be mistaken. I didn't feel a thing." That was all I said. He dropped me, snapping out of his insanity. As he was turned away, I dashed madly out of his room.

And straight into Odin.

"Oh, Lady Lienna! I was just looking for you. We're having our meeting in the throne room now."

"Right," I responded half heartedly. The kiss...

"Just come with me," Odin commanded plainly.

I nodded.

Once in the throne room, a guard seated me next to Alice and Sondra.

"Welcome, Chosen. We are gathered here to discuss your first days in the palace of Asgard."

We nodded. Apparently no one else was in the mood for speaking.

"So tell me. How was it? Alice, start us off."

Alice sat up. "Allfather, it has been wonderful! I've spent time with both of your sons, and they've been great companions. I hope that I'll get to stay longer."

Her answer was definitely rehearsed.

"And you, Sondra. Has your stay been good?"

Sondra glared at me before beginning. "My stay has been fine, I suppose. I don't believe that we've been given equal time with the princes, however."

Odin raised an eyebrow. "The amount of time they spend with you is completely up to them, though they should be trying to equalize it. I'll speak to them."

Sondra nodded arrogantly.

"Lienna? How has your time been, besides breaking a rib?"

I smiled weakly. "It's been... good."

Odin frowned. "Lienna, is something wrong?"

He knew. There was no denying it. Odin had brought me here for Loki, but he knew this was going to happen.

"I'm alright, just exhausted."

Odin stared at me for a moment longer, an odd sense of accomplishment in his eyes. Then he dismissed us.

As I left, Thor and Loki walked by. Thor nodded with a warm smile, but Loki's eyes met mine with an unmatchable coldness. I ran up to my room and slammed the door.

Somehow, I couldn't escape it.

I did feel it. I felt all of those feelings that I knew Loki was talking about.

But I was afraid. I was afraid for Ander and for Svendrel. I was afraid for the name of Moren the Great. I was afraid for Thor.

But mainly, I was afraid for myself.

××××××