Chapter Fifty One

Chapter Fifty One

Lienna

Instead of feeling excitement over seeing my husband again, I felt some sort of heavy dread. If Loki was in a rage or possessed by some black magic not unlike what Odin and Heimdall traced, he could kill anyone, at any moment.

I realized bitterly that Odin's desire to send a warrior to Midgard was a smarter decision than to send me. I was subjective to Loki and his actions, whereas a warrior could and would fight him to the death to protect innocent lives.

We arrived to the place where Loki supposedly was; a dark, threatening building that screamed Loki Laufeyson.

A blond man with a quiver of arrows slung across his back greeted us just outside. "You missed the party, Stark. Everyone's favorite mind controller is all taken care of."

Tony swore and I bit my lip. What happened?

"Well, let's see what condition he's in," Stark said, following the blond man into the building. I glanced at Thor and took his nod as a good enough sign.

Once inside, another man in a tight blue suit joined our group. "Nat just finished with Banner and the perimeter has been cleared of all civilians. There were only a few injuries, nothing too serious. Loki doesn't look too hot, but I don't think anyone would after a few rounds with the Hulk."

I stepped closer to Thor. Who are these men?

"Okay, we've heard enough about how he is, I want to see what he actually looks like," Tony said. "Where's he at?"

The man in the tight suit pointed over at a whole new group of men who surrounded something that I assumed was Loki. Instead of following Thor over to him, I ran past the group and over to the scene.

The men were not wrong. Loki didn't look fine whatsoever, but I wasn't sure what I expected.

He laid face down on his stomach, hands bound together behind his back in a crater in the ground. His face was scraped up and he looked unconcious.

"Valhalla help me now," I whispered, kneeling beside him.

"Hey, ma'am, you're not allowed next to him-" one of the men said, trying to lift me away from Loki. I spun around and hit him square in the face, sending him flying back. I bit my lip. Hopefully this doesn't become a habit. The rest of the men started to close in on me, but stopped when Tony cleared his throat.

"Hey, she's with us. I wouldn't want to try and mess with her, she's Mr. Problematic's significant other," Tony explained.

"Sorry about that, Mr. Stark," one man said. "Sorry,-"

"Lienna," I responded after a moment of awkward silence. "I apologize for your... your face."

"Loki has a wife?" the man in the tight suit asked incredulously.

"Wow, you'd think Thor would tell us about that," the man with arrows remarked.

I glared at Thor for a moment, then refocused on the other men. "Yes, I am Loki's wife, and I am just as confused as to why he is here as you are."

The men took this as their signal to introduce themselves, to my relief.

The man in the tight red, white, and blue suit spoke first. "I'm Steve Rogers, and the suit makes me Captain America." He held his hand out for me, which I shook.

"I'm Clint Barton," the man with arrows said. "Also known as Hawkeye."

I shook his hand as well, nodding respectfully.

"Alright, now that the introductions are finished, we can address the mess that is Loki," Tony said loudly.

I knelt beside him again, brushing his hair out of his face. Whatever fought with him was obviously something to fear. He flinched at my touch, signaling to me that he wasn't completely unconscious.

"Well, he isn't dead," I said.

"No, Odin's beard, no, I am not dead," he groaned, rolling onto his back. I nearly fell over, not expecting him to react. "Though right about now, I'm starting to wish I was."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "You nearly scared me half to death."

"Glad to know I can disarm my enemies with my wit," he remarked, eyes still shut.

Enemies? Who considers their wife their enemy?

He began to shift strangely. In a fluid motion, he pushed himself off the ground and broke through his handcuffs. Instinctively, I pushed myself away from harm's reach.

Tony, Steve, Clint, and Thor immediately charged him without giving me a moment to think.

I watched the fight with a paralyzing feeling of betrayal. Loki was quick, and ruthless too. The others had some sense of morality, which was their downfall, for every time one of them had Loki pinned and could have defeated him, they hesitated. Thor didn't finish off Loki for obvious reasons, Steve seemed the man with the strongest sense of mercy, Clint was caught off guard by Loki's gaze, and Tony was overcome with a brutal choke hold.

Suddenly, Loki disappeared. He simply vanished, leaving every one of us utterly confused and me incredibly emotionally hurt.

The scene was thrown into a frenzy; new groups of men arriving and leaving, discussing Loki as if he were nothing more than a liability. Clint, Steve, Tony, and Thor stood in a circle, joined by a redheaded woman and another man. I stayed where I was, sitting beside the crater that Loki was just in, my knees pulled up to my chest.

"Look, we have absolutely no idea why he's here or where he went, and we have his distraught little lady sitting over there," Clint said. "Apparently he's not too fond of her."

That stung, but Thor came to my rescue.

"Loki loves her more than anyone, and would never hurt her intentionally," Thor promised. "This outburst was nothing like Loki. You may not believe me, but he is not the way you have been describing him. He was simply... not himself."

I stood up, joining the group. "I know not the ways Loki has wronged you, but I do know that this was not my husband. I have heard tell of him being possessed before; perhaps it has happened again."

The group went silent, pondering this proposition.

"I think she's right," Steve agreed. The others nodded.

"So what are we going to do about it?" asked Tony.

"The only thing we can do is wait," Clint said.

I sighed inwardly. The fear of what Loki could do began to eat away at me once more. If he was possessed like my suspicion was, this could become more difficult than anyone had imagined.

I could lose my husband.

××××××

-

-

-

-

-

Sorry this update is so late!

Anyway, thank you all so much for the comments and votes, you're so wonderful! (now if i could just get more followers... jk)

Since I'm on break, hopefully there will be another update soon and if there isn't, there will be one in the future.

Love you all!
-katiethenovelist