Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Today is the day, correct?"

She rolled her eyes, obviously extraordinarily annoyed. "We've been over this every day since the stupid choosing. Yes, today is the day."

He flinched at Wisteria's bitter response. Always so insecure, so unsure, so embarrassed. That would change now, of course. He would have his own way. He would have the girl he had hoped to catch the attention of for so long, the girl he watched spy on the princes, then begin to lose her to a prince, a filthy giant's spawn.

He could feel it. Rage and passion slowly churning together in the heat of his mind and imagination, creating a concotion so dangerous, if left fermenting for too long, would suddenly burst in a torrent of vicious outlashes surging with the power he had suppressed for so long.

Of course, Wisteria didn't know it was in him. His father didn't know. His love didn't know. Only he did.

He was a bit afraid to let his beautiful love see it, perhaps accidentally, perhaps on purpose. He didn't know how she would react. She was too unstable, too difficult to fathom in his tumultuous mind.

Yet somehow, he knew she would be his. Ander knew. He always did.

××××××

Loki

I found, as I clasped the small box in my hands, that it was extraordinarily hard to contain your emotions when dealing with love, even after years of practice.

Lienna had become better quicker than I had imagined, but I told myself I would be prepared. As soon as dinner was over, I could see if fates didn't lie. It had to be true, I knew that much, but somehow I couldn't suppress the deep, underlying fear I was wrong. I often was, in my thoughts and actions, causing events I'd rather not think about.

Thor grinned at me as he passed, on his way to dinner. "Good luck, brother."

A grin spread across my face. "Thank you."

Thor seemed just as excited as I was. Even though he flaunted his warrior status and his battle scars proudly, he was gentle and a big romantic.

After what seemed like endless moments of waiting, Lienna finally appeared at the bottom of the stairs. She wore a charcoal grey gown that seemed to shine like moonlight. Her dark hair cascaded freely past her shoulders, going against traditional Asgardian braids. What struck me the most, as always, was her smile. Innocent yet intriguing, it filled me with a sense of joy and craving.

"Ravishing as always, Lienna," I complimented her. I could see her pale cheeks blush at my words.

"Thank you," she replied. "Let's go to dinner, shall we?"

I grinned widely, gripping the small box even tighter. "We shall."

××××××