Chapter 23: Finally some Answers

Since we have the day off, we all just sit around the breakfast table a little while longer, I grab some more food and dig into that, which seems to make everyone a little cheered up by my eating habits.

I seem to be craving the bacon a lot especially with maple syrup, it makes my mouth water every time i take a bite, everyone is saddened at least in our group by Edward and Myra leaving, but in a sad cruel way, we're also glad because that means that there is at least two less competitors to deal with for a spot in dauntless.

The thought makes me feel guilty, but I don't have any more time to think about it when a hand clamps on my shoulder, I look up to see that it's Chris, he nods towards the door and I nod and stand up to follow him, our table goes quiet "go back to eating initiates, I just want to talk with my sister" Chris says which makes them look all the more surprised, practically anyone who knows about me being related to a leader is the other leaders.

Tris looks at me and mouths "what's going on?" And I can only shrug my shoulders, I hope that it has anything to do with Divergents, I grab my tray and place it on the bin before following Chris out of the lunch hall and through the pit, we keep walking until we reach stairs that lead up into the pire, once we make our way towards the sunlight Chris then leads me into what looks like the leaders offices. We stop outside the biggest one and Chris knocks.

"Come in" I hear Max's voice say and we enter soon after.

I start to feel dread, what could they want with me? Max looks up and smiles warmly at me, can I trust him? "Ahh Aurelia good you're here, sit down we need to talk" max says as he points to one of the chairs in front of his desk and I reluctantly take a seat while Chris takes the other, max quickly types on his computer before pulling it's plug out.

"Now we haven't got much time, Aurelia, I know that you've probably being told to fear us, but please don't fear me and Chris, we know, we've known for quite a while, well I have anyway" max starts off and I start to stand when Chris makes me sit back down.

"What do you mean? You know?" I ask playing dumb, max starts looking agitated, "there's a reason why your mother left dauntless and your father left erudite, your divergence has to come from somewhere, your father theorised that divergence came from before the war and was passed on through each generation unknowingly" max reveals.

"But it wasn't considered a threat, because people who didn't pass initiation become factionless, they became the background, no one had to worry except for abnegation, anyways, divergence wasn't considered dangerous until about 30 years ago when certain erudite started to become obsessed with serums and power, I think you can figure out who presuming erudite is one of the factions you tested for" Chris reveals and I becoming more and more shocked.

"But why is divergent dangerous to erudite?" I ask becoming more curious about the fact that erudite became concerned when it came to the serums, "because the serums are Erudite's way of controlling the factions, it gives them power and they've begun to crave it, there's been talk that jeanine is in the works of creating a new serum, what for I don't know, but she wants Dauntless's support, which we haven't given, yet." Chris continues while max looks at me.

"I first found out about divergence when I met your mother so many years ago in school adm we were always the best of friends, it confused everybody,anyways we had just had our aptitude test and I found your mother running for the train tracks, and I followed her, she was scared of me at first until she found out that it was me and we talked and that's when she told me" max reveals.

"Told you what?" I ask, dreading his answer, he looks at me tired "that her results were inconclusive, she tested for amity, dauntless and abnegation, she cried thinking that I was going to turn her in but she was and still is one of my best friends and friends never turn on each other like that" max tells while Chris nods.