•Prologue•

When I was little I would play in out in my backyard, sometimes by myself and other times with my mother. My mother never treated me like a clueless child, even though I was. We played in the sandpit most of the time. She would always say that the sandpit was her favorite place to play. "You could build anything in here," She used to tell me.

I didn't know that any moment I could possibly lose her. I didn't know that wolves would kill our bodyguard, or that they would rip my mother's head clean off her body. But they did, and I saw it all. I shouldn't have, but it happened.

"The pup saw everything. What should we do with her?" The man asked, looking at me.
"Leave her, she hasn't done anything," The woman replied, obviously choosing to be sympathetic. I doubt she realized they killed my mother; or that I was the Alpha's child.
"But she could come after us," The same man said to her.

She growled at him, "Leave the pup, she deserves to grow up. At least we haven't killed the whole pack." They turned away, shifting and running off into the brush.

I was unable to move, just sitting there, and I cried; cried like the weak child I was. I sobbed because I couldn't do anything about the fact that my pack members had died around me.
We had been ambushed – that I understood – but I hadn't done anything to stop them; even if it got me killed in the process.

I saw wolves running in my direction, caught their scent and realized they were my pack, and I cried harder. They will see that I did nothing and that this is all my fault.

I watched as my father took in the surroundings – processed what had happened – and broke. Right here in front of me he broken down and he cried.

The Alpha lost his mate, the pack lost their Luna, and I lost my mother; and I thought I would lose my father with her.

One of the wolves came up to me, nudging me with his big nose; I heard him in my head.
Don't blame yourself, Haven, it wasn't your fault. You couldn't have stopped it if you tried.
I turned around and hugged him. His coat was soft, and I realized it was Beta Samuel; he was like an uncle to me. He shifted and picked me up.

"Let's go back inside," He whispered, letting me cuddle into him.

"What about Daddy?" I asked tearfully, read to burst into another round of tears.

"He'll be okay, Ven. Let him mourn the loss of his mate. It wasn't your fault, Kiddo," He told me reassuringly, holding me close and walking towards the house.

-edited by Brianna_Lowry