•1•

I was sitting in my fathers office while he was out with some of the other pack members. I did quite a bit of pack work, considering I was the next Alpha.

I went through some files and signed a few papers. Honestly, I didn't mind pack work. It took my mind off the things I was stressing over and made me focus.

Compared to my dad, I was super organised. I think I have a low form of OCD. It isn't always there but when it came to pack work. I was all over the organisation of it.

My dad is always saying how one day I'll run the pack with my mate. I've always let him live that dream of me finding my mate and being happy, but honestly, I don't want one.

I watched what it did to my father. He wasn't the same afterwards. For way too long he would barely come out of this office. He spent a lot of time burying himself in pack work.

It took him so long to be able to stop showing what the loss of his mate was doing to him. I know he hasn't recovered from it. I sometimes still hear the odd strangled sound from someone trying to not make any sounds while crying.

Nothing good came from my mother being killed. Although I became closer to my father a while after she died. Once he finally got it through his head that he did have a child to love, and that he couldn't spend his whole life wallowing in self pity.

I remember how he apologised so many times once he realised I was still here, and I remember how at night he would apologise to mum about how he was a terrible father.

I used to tell him that he wasn't, that even though I didn't understand what he was going through. I still lost my mummy and that I was here with him through it all.

We became a lot closer after that. He read me bedtime stories. He took me to school on the first day of year 3. He said he'd make up for all the days he left me out of, and he did.

I was so lost in my thought that when the door slammed open, I jumped out of my seat and only feet, ready to attack whoever was coming in.

"Haven! We're being invaded." Samuel practically screamed at me. Well that's shit.

"What! Who's invading?" I yell back, who's invading us, our pack isn't worth that much.

"Dark Blood." The horror was written all over his face. Why is that pack invading us? What do we have that they want? Argh!

"Well shit." I knew we were doomed. They were one of the strongest packs around.

"Haven, you're dads already out there. What are we going to do?" Samuel asks me, going into business mode.

"We join him, and protect our pack." I'm already running out of the house. I am going to give these assholes a fight.

Samuel and I ran out to where the battle was happening, I shift and jump at the nearest wolf. Snapping their neck, and slightly enjoying the sound of it, before charging another wolf and doing the same to him. I turned around to see a wolf charging at me before a very loud and commanding growl ripped through the large group of wolves.

Everyone stopped what they were doing, some wolves were frozen in the middle of biting another's neck. Heck, I swear someone stopped mid leap and fell to the ground.

A lot of the wolves from Dark Blood had shifted back into their human form. Our wolves slinked back to the side closest to our pack house. Forming a wall of wolves.

Once I had calmed down a bit. I smelt it. That beautiful smell that seemed to drift directing to me. I wanted to follow the smell, but first I had to shift back.