•2•

Three hours later I was still sitting in the office, staring at a picture of my mum, dad and I. It was taken two day after I was born.

My mother was holding me, and dad was looking over her shoulder at me. They seem so happy to have me.

I look at the only other picture in the room. It a picture of just my mum and dad. They're looking at each other with so much love in they're eyes. Is that what it's like to have a mate?

Mates love each other unconditionally, right? They'll love each other forever and always, but that's their downfall. When one dies, the other is left heartbroken, and is never the same. My father included.

I don't want to turn out like that. I don't want to do that to my mate. How could I? I'd rather not have one then destroy him in any case that I passed away.

Do you really think they'll going to let you get away that quickly?

Amazon asked, obviously thinking I'm an idiot. I just ignored her, I didn't doubt he would come back, but I don't think I could live with myself if I hurt him. No matter how I did it, it would destroy me.

Maybe, just maybe, he will give in and leave me alone.

Who am I kidding, an alpha leaving his mate alone, no matter how hard they fight, yeah. That won't be happening.

This office is becoming too much for me. I need to escape, the woods would be the best place to go right now. I just need to shift, go for a nice, relaxing run. So I will.

I get outside without anyone even realize I'm out of the office, they'll probably notice soon enough. I quickly strip off behind a tree, and then shift. Going straight into a sprint. Amazon wanted to take full control, but I wouldn't let her. I knew exactly what she would do if I let her take control.

Amazons coat was a russet colour, with a huge black splash across her face. It's not like it was exactly a rare colour, but most wolves don't have random spots on them.

There's an old tale that the wolves who will have the strongest mate bond, have a spot of the colour their mates fur is. It's only a tale, and just because you have a spot of fur that is a different colour than the rest of you body, doesn't mean that you'll have the strongest mate bond, because your mate may not have it. It's only if your mate has a spot of you colour on them, and you have theirs. Will you bond be stronger than any other.

I stop running at a stream, as I start to lap up the water, I smell this glorious smell. Oh it's so alluring and probably delicious. Again I hear Amazon squeal mate, but I already have a mate, and this is a different smell. Oh it smells like a forest on a wet day. Just after the rain. Oh it's heavenly.

Can we please go find that smell? Amazon begged me, and I almost gave in. We needed to get back, home is better than here, where that smell could find me.

I make it back safely to the tree I left my clothes at. Shifting quickly and putting my clothes back on. I walk inside and head straight to my fathers office.

"Oh, hey dad." I say awkwardly. Look up at him, putting on my most innocent smile.

"Where were you?" He questions in his I'm-calm-but-also-secretly-pissed-off voice.

"Out for a run. Come on dad I'm 20, not a little baby anymore. I'm also one of the best warriors this pack has, not like I'm gonna get beaten that easily." I say, watching his face change before he masks it.

"Don't sass me, young lady." He jokes, pretending to still be mad at me. We laugh and start walking towards the living room.

"Dad?" I say.

"Yes honey?" Is his reply.

"Is it possible to have two mates?" I ask him, he'd know the answer.

He looks at me, then looks away. Obviously in deep thought. "I wouldn't say it's impossible, but very rare. A lot of the time, alpha twins share a mate, but normal twins share with other twins. Although twins are very unusual.

"I heard a rumour about alpha twins. They have only ever been boys, and are very unusual. Only a few are born every five hundred years. They normally have an alpha female.

"They are destined for greatness, my dear, and together they will concur all darkness. They are of the light, and will fight for it." My father speaks like an elder. A wise man he is.

"You're destined for greatness, my dear. I can feel it, deep inside my gut. It doesn't tell me much, but it's always right. Listen to your instincts, and go with them. They'll lead you down the right path." He whispers to me.

I smile, lean in and hug him. Even through everything, he stands there and helps me with my troubles. Saying he'll never be able to regain the months he lost with me, the days he lost, when my mother died.

I've never held him to it, but he's been by my side ever since. For my first period at thirteen, even though he didn't know what to do to he helped me through it, and then my first shift at fourteen. Where he stood by my side the whole time.

He has been my support since mum, and I couldn't thank him more.

"I love you Haven, I don't tell you enough, but I do." He whispered in my ear.

"Dad, I know. You don't need to tell me when actions speak louder than words. You're the best dad anyone could ask for. I thank you for that." I smile at him, kissing his cheek before saying, "I'm so tired, I'm going to bed. See you in the morning."