Chapter 27

~Riley's POV~

The sound of a gunshot rang through my phone.

"Christian!" I screamed. I sat up quickly and threw shoes on, grabbing my gun.

He had installed tracking devices on each of our phones that only he and I could use through eachother's phones. At first I had thought it was a stupid idea that could get us both caught and killed on a case but now it was the only thing I was holding onto. That and hope that Christian was alive.

I pulled up the tracker.

Christian's phone was ten blocks away. A taxi would be too slow in these streets so I went with my instinct. To run.

Cars honked as I ran in front of them but I could care less about them right now.

Finally, nearing the small red dot that was Christian's phone, I found myself brought to an apartment.

My sister and her husband's apartment actually.

I ran up the steps and kicked down a door with the red dot behind it on my phone.

"So nice of you to join us." A familiar voice drawled.

My eyes adjusted to the dark and I saw Christian's limp body with his head yanked up. I followed the hand that was gripping his hair and holding him up to an arm to a shoulder and finally to a face.

My brother-in-law, John.

I then shifted my gaze back to Christian's head and saw a gun pressed against his temple. And blood was gushing from a bullet wound dangerously close to his heart.

"He told you not to come yet you disobeyed...how interesting."

I took a step towards them, raising my gun.

"Ah ah ah, I wouldn't do that if I were you." I saw his grip tighten on the gun and his finger neared the trigger. "One more step and he dies."

Three more men came into the room, one of them taking John's place and putting the gun to Christian's head while the other two aimed their guns at me, one of them blocking the door.

John walked over to me with this sick smile.

"A little birdy told me that you are carrying my niece or nephew." He said, dragging the muzzle of the gun over my stomach. "Such a shame though, they'll never be born." He aimed the gun down quickly and pulled the trigger, a bullet ricocheting off the ground just millimeters from my foot and crashing through the nearest window.

"Unless we can come to an agreement."

"What kind of agreement?" I asked, even though I was scared to death, I didn't let it show in my voice.

"Your sister and I have been trying for a baby for years, but no luck. So I'll let you both live if you allow me to continue my work until the baby is born, then I'll stop. But you must give us your baby and stay silent about everything. And if you so much as say one word about this, our agreement, or anything that you saw, I will kill you, the boy, and your baby, and I will know. I still have the mic on you."

It was so much to ask for. But he clearly didn't know I was having twins, despite the mic, and he did know I would do anything to save Christian. But this was other people's lives I would be putting in danger until the babies were born.

I looked up into his eyes, "deal."