Part Forty Two

Shannon's p.o.v

Man I was lucky. That crash could have been a lot worse.

Something was wrong with Jess, she seemed so...cold. She'd barely said anything since she got to the hospital. Had I misjudged her feelings for me? Did she not care I'd gotten hurt? I know it wasn't serious, but it could have been. When she went to pull the car round, I spoke to Jared. J "She's probably pissed at you bro. You had us all worried. She was a wreck when she got here." Me "I guess." Was she a wreck? If so why was she so different now?"

The drive home was uncomfortable and quiet. Jess just stared ahead, watching the road. She never looked at me once. She didn't even say anything until we got home. J "I'd better take Cujo out, he's been in all day." Me "Yeah, OK." I watched her walk in the house, not knowing what to do.

Jess took Cujo for a walk while I called my mom. She was visiting friends in Montana and wouldn't be home for another day. She was threatening to fly home early. I reassured her I was OK and I'd be more careful next time. Mom "OK sweetie, well you take care and call me in the morning." I rolled my eyes, Me "Yes mom." M "I love you Shannon." Jess came back with Cujo, I smiled. Me "Love you too mom."

Jess was in the kitchen washing dishes when I walked in. I hoped the fresh air had put her in better mood. She was stood in silence, with her back towards me. I looked down at Cujo having a drink. Me "You guys enjoyed your walk?" J "Yes." It was short and sharpe, the walk hadn't helped. Me "Good...Mom says Hi. She'll be home tomorrow night. Sounds like she's had a great time." No response. Me " You hungry?" She just shook her head and carried on washing. Me "Well I'm starving, must be all the excitement. I feel like pizza...a big one....from Gino's. I've got a number here somewhere..." I looked away, just as a coffee cup smashed on the wall beside me.

Cujo scampered out the room. Me "Fuck!" I looked at the broken cup on the floor, then over at Jess. She was staring at me, her eyes full of fury. Me "Jess, what the hell?" Her breathing was rough and ragged. Me "Did you just throw that at me?" J "Yes I threw that at you. You fucking asshole!" She growled. Me "What?" She picked up another cup and threw it, smashing at my feet. Me "Fuck!" I jumped away. J "How could you be so reckless?" She threw another. J "You scared the shit out of everyone." And another. J "Poor Jared's blaming himself for you getting hurt." And another. Me "Jesus Jess! Quit it or we'll have nothing left!"

J "It's not funny Shannon!" She was shouting now, her arms flying around. J "What if it had been serious?" She finally looked me in the eye, hers were full of tears. "How can you stand there, acting like nothing's happened, like everything's normal, when you could of...?" Her voice was just a whisper. J "Shannon...what if I'd lost you?" So that was it. That was why she was so angry, so distant. She was afraid. Me "Jess...I..."I stepped towards her and her body crumpled to the floor. She dropped her head in her hands and cried. I sat down next to her and pulled her into my arms.

She rested her head in my lap and sobbed. I stroked her hair, it reminded me of the night she was ill. Me "Baby it's ok, I'm fine." J "But you might not have been." She sat up and looked at me, her eyes were red and puffy. J "You don't get it do you Shannon? I love you, so much it scares me. And if I lost you, it would kill me."