Music Lessons (Calum Hood)

so Sophia my girl came up with this idea so this is for her 💖 @calumsmyclouds

Your mum was a pain when it came to music. Because she wasn't at all musical and her singing sounded like a dying whale so she pushed you into learning lots of different instruments and singing lessons.

At first it was fine, learning the cello, playing the clarinet but soon it got boring. All your friends were playing the guitar or drums and were in bands and performing at pubs and you were stuck with the violin. Yes, you were musical and you could sing but you kept that to a minimum because you didn't like your voice a lot and you were shy about it.

You wanted to play something different and exciting so when you saw a poster at school advertising a bass tutor you literally leapt at the opportunity.

You dialled the number and bit your lip. You knew it was a student who was offering the lessons by the lack of capital letters and spelling on the poster.

"Yeah?" A gruff voice with a thick accent answers the call.

"Hi, I'm calling about your bass tuition?" You try to sound chill but you guess this kid is at least 18.

"Oh shit sorry. Um." You hear some shuffling around before he clears his throat.

"Sorry, when are you free?"

"Tuesday evenings?" You ask and there is a pause. You look around the empty corridor knowing you should be in class but it was only music and to be honest the teacher had given up teaching you when you could basically play and understand more music than she ever could.

"Sure, I'm Calum by the way." You say your name and he gives you an address. You smile before hanging up, feeling optimistic about learning bass. You'd played the guitar a few times and you got to grips with the chords pretty fast but you decided to stop by the music store before you went home.

The bell rings as you enter, the tall skinny kid who worked there had got to know you for your frequent visits. The music store was your escape when times got tough at home.

"Hey Luke!" You say and his hand sticks up from the desk in a sort of wave. He is obviously preoccupied so you walk over to the string section and look at the expensive guitars and basses. You run your fingers over the hard strings which are totally out of tune and they produce an awful noise.

The bell rings again, indicating another customer has come in, you glance behind and see they are chatting to Luke. You view is blocked by a shelf so you can't really see anything so you sit on a little stool as you pick up the guitar that Luke always left off the shelf. He knows you like to tune them yourself and you hold the acoustic piece of wood in your hands and begin to strum the chords you've been practising. You hum along before quietly singing a few words that match up with your chords. You can't afford to buy the guitar but Luke let's you practice for a bit in here and sometimes he even helps you.

"That's a cool tune." A voice startles you and you jump as you see a tall tanned boy with tousled black hair standing in front of you.

"Er thanks? I'm just messing around with some chords. It's nothing great."

"Yet." He answers and you smile.

"I'm Calum." He sticks out his hand and you giggle as you realise where you've heard his voice before.

"I'm Y/N. Am I right in thinking you're offering bass lessons?" You grin and it clicks in Calum's head.

"Oh wow you're gonna be better than I thought at bass if you can play guitar like that." Calum laughs and you smirk.