"Sad, Beautiful, Tragic Love Affair" (Michael Clifford)

EDITED: 06/01/19

Your legs are like jelly as you take a deep breath, hearing the music begins from behind the doors. It's a tune you know so well, that you begin to hum along. The door swing open and you have to remember how to walk. Placing one foot in front of the other, you march down the aisle, trying to keep up the façade that you've had for so long.

Keeping your eyes firmly on the man who's your soon-to-be husband, you can help but sneak a quick glance at the second row of seats. Bad idea. He's wearing a white shirt with a grey tie and grey suit pants. You stumble as your eyes meet his and in your heart, you know you can't go through with this. But you must. His grey eyes scorch yours, through his smoothed back, now blond hair, with lust and loss. 

You turn away, immediately regretting that you ever looked. The altar comes all too soon and you look up at the man you're going to spend the rest of your life with. Cherish, make love to. Be with forever. You take in his muscular build, the broad back, the angular shape of his jaw line. Realising that you're staring, you zone back in and hear the priest talking.

"Do you Lucas Robert Hemmings take Y/N to be your lawfully wedded wife, in sickness and in health until death do you part?" You feel the tears trickle down your cheeks before you can stop them. Everyone will think it's happy tears. Luke doesn't notice.

"I do." 

"Are there any objections as to why this marriage can't go forward?" There's a prominent moment of silence. Everyone holds their breath.

"Yes I object."

Oh Michael. Why? You shake your head the the tears flow freely down your cheeks and onto the top of your beautiful dress. Luke's mouth his hanging open, he's so surprised and honestly you don't blame him. The whole church has turned to face Michael. Oh shit.

"I- uh, where to begin..." Michael stumbles, he clearly hasn't prepared this. Well you're not surprised, that's Michael in a nutshell. Unprepared. If he was, maybe you wouldn't be in this position. 

Luke turns away and tells the priest to carry on. Twisting your body to face forward, you put on a brave expression. Why didn't Michael just say it? Uh, he couldn't  though, he didn't have the guts to tell his best friend that he had an affair with Luke's fiancée which is going to result in a child. You'd planned on telling Luke it was his after the wedding. Plus, it could be his. Or Michael's. You're not entirely sure.People are talking behind you, murmurs and whispers and you turn to see Michael mumbling apologies as he walks out of the pew and into the aisle. 

"Stop." 

His voice is calm, you hear Luke sigh and this time you don't turn to see his expression.

"Luke, you can't marry her because" He pauses, debating whether to lie or not. He doesn't. "Because she is pregnant with my baby." There it was. The whole crowd gasps, you're pretty sure your mom fainted. Luke lets go of your hand, like it's burning hot. 

"You can't be serious." 

Luke's voice is confused, hurt and angry. The tears begin again and you mumble the stupid excuses that have formed in your head, but Luke doesn't want to hear any of it. He storms out of the church, fuming. Lifting up your dress, you run to follow him. He strides out onto the road and whirls around as you reach out for him. 

"I knew it, I fucking knew it" he runs his hand through his hair and fumes. You reach out to comfort him, to take the pain away, anything.

"Don't fucking touch me!"

You step forward, arms out, needing to explain yourself to him. He steps back, further into the road. Everything after that is a blur. 

The car skids to a halt but Luke's body is already somersaulting through the air like a boneless animal. He hits the tarmac with a sickening thud. You hear another scream behind you and you see Liz running into the road. There is chaos all around you. You're screaming but it doesn't even feel like you're making a sound. 

Michael takes your hand, gently guiding you away from the horror unravelling before your eyes. You can't even breathe, your airways are blocked. Your chest is heaving. It was never meant to end like that. You're not sure how it was meant to end but it certainly didn't turn out how it should have. An ambulance siren wails around as Mikey pushes you in his car and turns on the ignition. 

"I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry." he whispers, again and again. It's like a mantra, like he's trying to convince himself more than you. You put your head in your hands, wishing it would all go away. And praying Luke was still alive. The tears keep flowing, keep streaming down your cheeks, dripping off your chin and dampening your dress. 

"Y/N, it's okay. It's just a dream, you're okay."

You open your eyes to see Michael lying beside you, his hair is crumpled by sleep and he looks at you with concern. You glance around and realise you were asleep, you're still in your flat, snuggled up in bed with Michael next to you.

"It was just a bad dream." You sigh and he gently leans over and kisses your nose.

"Well let's hope it doesn't come true then."