Too Close (Ashton Irwin)

You pace the bedroom, chewing your nails as you decide what to wear. Your boyfriend of 6 months, George, called and asked to meet up. You firstly thought it was cute and out of the blue, but he sounded distant on the phone and you began to panic. Maybe he was cheating. Maybe he didn't love you anymore. 

You'd immediately called your best friend of 2 years, Ashton who reassured you that it was probably just a chat, you hadn't seen George for 2 weeks due to your busy schedules. He was a roadie, into tech and always on tour with bands. You'd met at a concert where your friend knew the artist and you'd gone backstage. He was funny and flirtatious. He was a couple of years younger than you but it didn't matter. 

And now, you're standing in your underwear wondering what he wants to talk about. It's not like you guys don't talk but sometimes you go days without texting or calling but when you're together, it's like you were never apart. 

You go for a cute sweater and a pair of jeans, after all it's a cooler spring day and you're not going to dress up a lot. George had seen you at your worst so you didn't mind. You texted Ashton telling him you'll stop by his after and you can hang for a bit, he messages back saying he'll be waiting with a bottle of wine.

You apply a bit of mascara and lip balm, grab your keys and go. The café is a bus ride away and you hop on the bus, plugging your earphones in. Ashton sent you a demo a few days ago and you hadn't had time to listen to it properly yet so you find the track he sent and press play. The song begins with an electric guitar and Luke, Ashton's band mate's vocals. You love all their voices and when it gets to Ashton's bit, you see yourself smiling in your reflection in the bus window opposite. Ashton's voice gives you a warm feeling, you're so proud of your best friend. 

You and Ash had met at a bar and you'd been very drunk after a break up. You'd knocked over his drink and he got a bit angry, as it kinda ruined his shirt. But, as he got up to tell you off, you'd burst into drunken tears and he'd taken pity on you. You'd gone out on your own and he said he'd drive you home but you'd passed out in his car and so he'd let you stay over. The next morning you woke up in his house, in a spare room which was littered with instruments, vinyls and sheet music. You found an old CD of American Idiot by Green Day and Ashton had told you it was one of his favourite albums. And that is how you became friends. 

You smile fondly at the memory and Ashton's vocals as the song comes to an end. You put the song back on, immediately falling in love with it again. You hop off at the bus stop and walk to the café, smiling in the sunshine. You open the door and spot George in the corner. You walk over and notice he doesn't really smile back as you sit down.

"Hey, omg listen to this song," you pull out one headphone and offer it to George, he shakes his head and you pause the song.

"What's wrong?" You ask quietly, sensing the mood drop. George was usually fun and would pick you up and hug you but, today he could barely look you in the eye. 

"I-" He rakes his hand through his dark brown hair, you can tell he's frustrated and you slide into the chair opposite him quietly.

"I feel like you don't treat me properly, Y/N. You're a great girl and when we first got together, we had so much fun and I was in love with you, honestly. But now, I hardly ever see you and when I do, you're not all there. You're texting Ashton or hurrying off to see him or something. It's not fair on our relationship for you to be like this."

You want to argue with him, tell him he's got it wrong. But as you listen to George, you begin to realise that he's right and mainly that you were never really in love with him. It still hurts though, him saying that you're not a proper girlfriend. You've tried in the relationship but you thought he was happy that you weren't a texting every minute, not being that clinging girlfriend. Maybe he's jealous of Ashton?