Prologue

A quick author's note:

This is the original Vision, not the rewritten version. I am currently in the process of rewriting this book, although the rewrite is not yet complete it can be found on my profile. 

________

I can remember it all so clearly; the frightening events of that night will surely be stuck with me forever.

That night was the first time it happened.

I was only six years old at the time, I was happy. I fit in well with my packmates; I couldn't have asked for better.

My pack, the Stormhounds, was a little old fashioned. Nowadays most packs had strayed from the idea of a moon goddess, but my alpha still had a firm belief in her input to our lives. He kept the pack in excellent condition to please her.

Not that I believed it.

I had always been an outsider in my beliefs, of course I acted as though I was invested in her image, maybe it was my lie that cursed me.

On that first night, the air was still, stiller than I had ever witnessed it. Everything felt different, the very atmosphere had changed.

It was pitch black and completely silent, but all of a sudden everything was full of noise.

The instant change is perhaps what scared her the most.

It was still night, yes, but now I was outside, where moonlight shone  through the trees and lit the path. All I could see was madness, wolves coming from every direction, they all ran like their life depended on it, and merely a second later, new wolves emerged, they had matted, thin fur and eyes that shone a deep orange. Rogues.

I had never come across one before, but I immediately saw that they weren't after me.

They were chasing the other wolves, the pack wolves.

And then they caught them.

Everything went red in that instant, the sound of bones crunching between jaws shattered through my ears, the rigid screams of un-shifted wolves rang out into the air.

It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

The rogues were everywhere, killing every wolf they saw, and not hesitating about it either.

It was a complete bloodbath.

I heard another scream, piercing and high pitched. It took me a moment before I realised it was me.

The rogues didn't notice, but that didn't matter because then I was gone.

I was back in my room, curled up in a soft duvet that no longer felt so comforting.

I was still screaming, and that was when my parents came in.

They immediately rushed to my side, "Charlotte? Charlotte what happened?"

I was vaguely aware of my dad lifting me, checking me for signs of pain.

But they had no idea it was all mentally.

"The wolves... dying... rogues attacking..." I shuddered as I mumbled the words.

My parents gave each other a horrified look before they turned back to face me, "Charlotte what are you talking about?" My dad asked me, looking bewildered.

In all honesty I didn't really know myself.

I wasn't sure what had happened, I assumed it had just been a nightmare, so that's what I told my parents.