Chapter 12

When I woke up, all I could feel was numbness.

I knew that I had been stabbed, I knew it should hurt, but it didn't.

I was still lying on the ground, looking next to me, I saw the blood-soaked grass and winced, turning away.

My gaze flickered upwards, where I saw Liam running towards me before he was intercepted by a wolf.

My eyes closed voluntarily, I didn't want to watch.

I lay there, listening to the sounds of battle, the warning growls of the wolves, and the loud whines that could only mean a wolf in pain.

I guess it was horrifying.

Though I found it oddly peaceful.

I was so used to hearing these sounds... used to watching it happen.

It was a strange kind of serenity, to hear it and not have to watch. To know it was happening, but not see the pain and the suffering.

So at peace in this strange moment, the thing that made me open my eyes was the brief but thrilling contact between me and my mate. Just a simple, short touch.

And then it all came crashing down.

I heard the unmistakeable thud of a body hitting the ground next to me, I smelt the rusty scent of fresh blood.

I winced as I opened my eyes.

But I didn't need to worry.

Laying next to me, his eyes glassy and unfocused, was Alpha Derek.

I sighed in relief as a pair of warm arms encircled me, and gently lifted me up. Liam.

"Does it hurt?" He asked me.

"Does what hurt?" I asked, pushing my face into his chest, trying to get as much contact as possible. He was so warm. I hadn't realised how cold I had gotten.

"Your stomach." He replied, in a concerned voice.

"Oh." I said. Now that I really thought about it, I couldn't feel any pain at all. But that didn't make any sense, I had seen the blood. I had definitely been stabbed.

"No, it doesn't hurt." I replied.

He didn't say anything, but I sensed that he didn't believe me.

"Duck." I said meekly. He obliged without a second thought, we were both tight against the ground as a silver bullet went whizzing over our heads.

For a moment we stayed there on the ground, he shot me an incredulous look. I had told him to duck before the man had even raised his gun.

I looked away, not wanting to meet his eyes. I was ashamed of myself, ashamed that the one secret I had been determined to keep quiet had gotten out. 

I didn't speak any more as he carried me away, I wouldn't have known what to say even if I wanted to speak. 

I knew I'd have to talk to him eventually, but I was quite happy to postpone that moment for as long as possible.

After what seemed like hours of walking, the sounds of battle left far behind, when we came across a car, with one of Liam's pack members already seated in the driving seat. The car was one of those fancy ones with a partition separating us from the driver. Did that mean that he wanted to talk... now?

Once we were both seated, he turned to me, and stared at me for a few moments.

I looked away, not wanting to know what he was thinking.