Chapter 27

"Five more wolves dead." Beta Stephan informed me, with a straight expression.

I sighed, "Can they not save it for the fight?"

Fights had been breaking out between the rogues and the packs. Everyone knows that they don't get along.

And it wasn't just that they had a natural dislike towards each other. Now they were training together. We paired rogues with packed wolves, and they trained. It was easy to see that they loved fighting each other more than they liked joining together. I suppose it was expected.

Even so, at this rate we would have no wolves left to fight for us.

The main issue we faced was trying to get the rogues and the packs to fight together, but it was a group dynamic that just didn't work.

More wolves died every day, the training battles just got too rough. Mainly that was the fault of the rogues, once they fought they got into a frenzy, it was difficult for them to stop once they got the advantage. And it was rare that they weren't at an advantage.

The Alphas were growing angry, their wolves were dying and we hadn't even reached the main fight.

It felt like a losing battle, but how could we possibly lose right now? We had the majority of the werewolf population on our side.

But that posed another problem... the other side.

I knew nothing about them.

I didn't know who they were, or why they wanted a fight. That was the problem with my visions, all I saw was the fight. I didn't see the decisions behind it. I didn't recognise the wolves.

Except for one.

Walking with Beta Stephan at my side, we walked steadily through the wolves. It did not look good to rush, Stephan told me. I looked more in control if I walked confidently.

And then I saw him.

A dark black wolf with matted fur, and a scar in the shape of a crescent moon across his cheek.

I gasped and froze, staring at the wolf. He was growling at another rogue in annoyance, but his head quickly snapped up to mine, noticing my stare.

I placed my hand gently on Beta Stephan's arm, grasping it lightly.

"Take him in for questioning. I've seen him. I recognise him. He's on the other side." I whispered to him, and watched as three wolves from allied packs came over and commanded him to change into his human form.

He did so, his face contorted in irritation and defiance. The man could have been handsome, but he was covered in dried dirt and his hair was in knots. He stood there shamelessly, not bothering to find any clothes.

The wolves took him by the arms and wrestled him forwards, taking him to Liam's prison - we did not have one here, as a pack we had no permanent location.

After taking a moment to breath deeply, trying to get over the shock I had felt as the recognition, I followed the path the wolves had taken, heading to Liam's prison.

It was dark, lit only by the light from the high windows.

My footsteps echoed through the room as I walked, careful not to look at any of the other prisoners. There weren't many here, but there were enough.

"I have done nothing! I came here to fight and there is no reason for this you dogs!" I heard the rogue growling, somewhere ahead on the left.

Coming closer, I saw him in a cell. The wolves that had brought him here stood with Beta Stephan outside the bars.